30-378 Wby Mag Barrel Break In & Cleaning

drenner43

I'll be breaking in 2 Weatherby MK5 Accumarks very soon. I have 2 questions:

1 - What is everyones suggested barrel break in method.

2 - What is everyones suggested cleaning method and what tools are you using to do so....tools, brushes, solutions....etc..

Thanks for the help!

daniel

I'll be breaking in 2 Weatherby MK5 Accumarks very soon. I have 2 questions:

1 - What is everyones suggested barrel break in method.

2 - What is everyones suggested cleaning method and what tools are you using to do so....tools, brushes, solutions....etc..

Thanks for the help!

daniel

What works for me is the shoot and clean after each shot method for the first 8 to 10 rounds
then shoot 3 rounds and clean 3 or 4 times then shoot no more than 5 at a time if possible
befor cleaning.

I use Butches bore shine solvent, cotton swab and/or a good bronze brush.

I also recomend using the largest cleaning rod that will fit in the bore. (.270 dia for 7mm+,
.224 dia for 22 to 270) one piece rod will prevent flexing in the bore and point loading/rubbing
against the bore.

Also I like to use a smaller jag (7mm for 308 ETC) because it allows you to use several patches
at one time so the patch material will be forced into the grooves for better cleaning.

When the barrel is broke in it should clean up with one or two solvent applications and a couple
of dry patches.

J E CUSTOM

List of Cleaning Supplies

Rod
Jag
Brush
Solvent
Patches
Bore Guide

Anybody got anything else I might wanna add? Thanks

daniel

List of Cleaning Supplies

Rod
Jag
Brush
Solvent
Patches
Bore Guide

Anybody got anything else I might wanna add? Thanks

daniel

Hi daniel ,

I shoot a .300 RUM I had a broughton barrel installed and tim @ brougthon rifle barrels told me to put one drop of bore oil on a patch and push it through then shoot one shot and clean repeat that process for 20 shots, then shoot five and clean repeat that process until you don't see any evidence of copper on your patch . He told me to never use a brush of any kind (this is in direct violation to what most of the guys on this site would reccomend) If you use Montana extreme copper killer you want need to brush out the copper you can just apply some on a patch push it through waite about 5 to 6 minutes or so and push a dry patch through it and watch the copper killer do it's work ! think about it why would we want to take care of our barrels and properly break them in just to run a stiff brush down the smooth bore of our new barrel ? If you do decide to go the brush route Don't pull the brush back through your barrel screw it off and don't do the cross cut motion on your new smoke stick:)

My barrel has never had a brushof anykind down it and it has roughly 220 rounds down it and it's shootin pretty good.

just my opion .

BigBuck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.