Tikka vs Savage

I think I might give a Tikka a try for a build soon, it'll be hard to strip all the plastic parts and get rid of all the cheesiness but I think it's doable then all I need is to make is a Tikka nut for the barrel and it will be able to come up to it's full glorious potential :D

Lets see, McMillan stock available right now for Tikka, don't need a barrel or trigger so not much to do except shoot. If I'm going to build a rifle I'd start w/ a Remmy or clone

Get a Savage that doesn't come with the Accustock and build up the rifle.

Savage you can keep adding on with time, a custom stock this year, a match grade barrel next year..........

You get a Tikka that doesn't shoot you have to sell it. Not much choices for aftermarket stuff and not as easy of a build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjtNWwLcZL4
Go American, we build good ****. gun)

Nothing wrong with custom rifles but I don't think you should have to build one out of necessity. By my observation, Tikka consistently puts well made, accurate rifles in the hands of the average Joe. You just don't hear much about buyers remorse. I'd say customer satisfaction is overwhelmingly positive.

Regarding buying American... Back in the day, I had a friend that wore a has that said "I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Toyota". That hat was a billboard for people who refused to acknowledge the reality of the problem.

Sometimes we make good stuff and sometimes not.

I think I might give a Tikka a try for a build soon, it'll be hard to strip all the plastic parts and get rid of all the cheesiness but I think it's doable then all I need is to make is a Tikka nut for the barrel and it will be able to come up to it's full glorious potential :D

I like were this kind of thinking could lead.:D

Ok some of you tikka fans may have switched me over.

I have only shot 1 tikka in my life it was my buddies .204 varmint stainless. Yes, it was a shooter!

Savages have caught my eye in the past due to the inexpensive price tag on them and the ease of turning them into a fun little project.

Now im in the market for a .270wsm.

What does the tikka have over a savage (with accutrigger)? I realize that their (tikka) factory barrel is one of the best, but so are the savages.

There is a word that keeps popping up in reviews regarding the feel of the tikka lite and all the plastic "cheezy" can you guys elaborate on that one?

Ok some of you tikka fans may have switched me over.

I have only shot 1 tikka in my life it was my buddies .204 varmint stainless. Yes, it was a shooter!

Savages have caught my eye in the past due to the inexpensive price tag on them and the ease of turning them into a fun little project.

Now im in the market for a .270wsm.

What does the tikka have over a savage (with accutrigger)? I realize that their (tikka) factory barrel is one of the best, but so are the savages.

The Tikka trigger is easily adjustable with an allen wrench. I have all of mine adjusted down to just under 2 lbs. crisp with zero creep. very straightforeward. and it has almost zero over travel after it breaks where as the savage has a lot

Good one! :) Took a second for the humor in this to settle in. I own two Tikka T3's but this is still funny!

I don't know if I have replied to this thread or not but I am amazed at the tikka performance. I own six with three I shoot and three in the box. The ones I shoot are amazing and will shoot with any rifle I own. When savage first started their new run of good accurate rifles about ten or so years ago I sold quite a few out of my shop. They all amazed us with affordable accuracy. I had a long range bench right at the shop for testing. Overall though the Tikkas were more accurate than the savage. I like the Sako action and trigger much better in the tikka.

I have done nothing to my tikkas except freefloat the barrels and adjust the triggers. An action lug and bedding would be nice but I am afraid to touch them. All shot under 6" at 900 yards a couple weeks ago and that is basically straight off the shelf at Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse. I don't know what more a guy could ask for.

I talked to the guy over production at the tikka factory at the SHOT show last year for 45 minutes. A private tutorial pretty much about the tikkas and how they get their accuracy. The action and barrel is top target quality mated perfectly to the tightest tolerances possible. To make the rifle affordable naturally they must cut corners in other areas but not where accuracy is involved as much. Basically the gist of the conversation was tolerances, tolerances, tolerances with target grade barrels mated perfectly to a sako action and that is a direct quote.

I talked to the guy over production at the tikka factory at the SHOT show last year for 45 minutes. A private tutorial pretty much about the tikkas and how they get their accuracy. The action and barrel is top target quality mated perfectly to the tightest tolerances possible. To make the rifle affordable naturally they must cut corners in other areas but not where accuracy is involved as much. Basically the gist of the conversation was tolerances, tolerances, tolerances with target grade barrels mated perfectly to a sako action and that is a direct quote.

But LTLR, haven't you heard? It's impossible to mass produce a rifle to such exacting tolerances! Impossible I say!

My brother sells quite a few Tikka's out of his gun shop so he gets a fair amount of feedback and it has been overwhelmingly positive on their out-of-the-box accuracy. Even with factory ammo customers report impressive accuracy. The two Tikka T3 Lite's I own are both impressive. I'd like to bed the one in a more rigid stock, but just haven't mustered up the ambition to plow through with it. Mine tend to exihibit a slight point of impact drift after sitting in the gun room for several months, and I suspect this is due to the factory plastic stock. But on any given day their accuracy is very impressive for a factory rifle.

Just repeating what I was told for all to hear. Some was proprietary that I can not repeat. Sworn to secrecy you know or they would fly over from Finland and haul me away!

Seriously, I have some incredible shooters that are Tikka and I just wanted answers. How do I have three relatively cheap factory rifles that weigh 6 3/8 pounds with a 24" factory sporter barrel that shoot with a bench gun? As you can understand I wanted answers. Maybe I am just incredibly lucky at buying rifles. I also bought a 257 wby mk 5 at Cabelas off the used gun rack with a 2-10 Nikon monarch scope for $500. It is one of the best shooters we own and will average between 1-1 1/2" groups at 400 yards. My son shot a 2" at 600 yards.

One like that may be understandable with all the rifles I own. But three for three with the tikkas, pretty amazing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.