Tikka vs. Savage

To tout savage as being superior accuracy-wise to tikka is absolutely inaccurate.

I never made any claim that savages were better shooters. I simply shared my experience with the one Tikka I have handled and shot. He is an experienced reloaded and has done quite extensive loading for it with different bullets and powders to get the best groups just as he has done with his other rifles and I with mine. As you said sometimes manufacturers make one that just doesn't shoot as well. Maybe he got one of those in his Tikka. Ill say again, the Tikka does not shoot bad. 1/2" groups at 100 yards which I'd be pleased with on a lot of rifles. His one Savage shoots 1/4" - 3/8" at 100 and my one Savage shoots sub 1/4" at 100 & sub 1.5" at 500. Maybe the other Tikkas shoot that well. I just gave my experience with the one Tikka and my one savage. All the rest of our guns are winchesters and Remingtons mostly.

The only thing I can say bad about my one Savage is, it will not shoot the bullet that I bought it to shoot. I had all intentions of shooting the 140 VLD hunting in this gun and no matter how hard I've tried I cannot get it to shoot this bullet consistently. I've talked to several people who do have great success with the VLD in their savages. I guess my particular rifle does not like them. Or perhaps the VLD is too picky for my reloading preferences.

I shoot Nosler Ballistic tips in a lot of my other guns because they seem to tune easy and have great midrange accuracy. I picked up a box of those in 140 and this Savage loves them. At 100 yards it will chew out a ragged hole and if I catch the wind stable enough here it will shoot 1" groups at 500.

I dont know how this thread is so old and I have not commented on it.. I have owned several savages played with a few that werent mine and same for Tikka. For tikka's obviously I really like them. they are simple, priced well reliable, very smooth, durable and the factory trigger is the best on the market as far as factors triggers go. I have a tikka 338 win and its my worst shooting tikka it shoots no better than 3/4 MOA typically between there and 1 MOA the rest of them that I own or have owned shoot under 1/2MOA easily.

Savages.. I am not a fan.. HOWEVER the best shooting factory rifle I have ever built a load for was a 116 weather warrior that belongs to another member on here (magnumitis) it literall shot .1 and .2 with Barnes 180 Gr TTSX. I have owned a few savages that wouldnt shoot under an inch and 1 or 2 that shot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA I dont like the looks of them or the fit and finish. Savage has done some amazing things like the accustock, the floating bolt head etc.. just not my cup of tea.

All of these were out of the box comparissons with nothing more than floating barrels if needed. I will also add that pretty much all Tikkas need floated or they are going to shoot like a factory remington (haha sorry remington guys) I own several Remingtons but none of them have remington barrels other than my 870... before the new barrels the 870 had the best groups

I was just in at a local gun shop and seen Tikkas fitted with factory sako finnlight barrels and it was only a $50 upgrade vs $250 to flute a barrel I think I'm going to pick one up not sure what caliber but thinking a 270wsm

All of these were out of the box comparissons with nothing more than floating barrels if needed. I will also add that pretty much all Tikkas need floated

Honestly, I don't think I've purchased a factory gun in several years that didn't need floated straight out of the box. Bought a 7mm-08 for my dad last year. The stock had two little pads at the tip of the forearm for the barrel to rest on. Scouts honor, at 100 yards with factory ammo I was hard pressed getting rounds on a pie plate. My guess is it was shooting around a 12" group. I took it home and dremelled off the pads. With the same box of shells I lined it up and shot 1" groups.

My savage in the post a few back had a 1/8" wide rib at the end of the forearm that the barrel sat on. That too had to go.

I will also add that pretty much all Tikkas need floated

Have you gotten one that isn't? Mine (Jan 2013 7mm-08) had no contact (well clear in fact) till just before the action which I left alone since that often gets glassed in when people bed an action.

I will not try to compare a Savage with the Tikka I shot, as I think it would be totally unfair. The only bigger bore Savages I own are 99's, and all the others are 22-250's. Yet I will say that my 99's are solid 1.20" rifles (five shots in .300) with factory Winchester ammo. My worst 22-250 is a solid .31" rifle (5 shots of course). My other one shots .25" five shot groups right out of the box without even a trigger adjustment. I had another that would shoot low twos and a few high ones, but was stolen. That one had the old trigger, and factory bedding.

On the otherhand, I never expect a 270 or 30 caliber to ever group anything like these rifles. The Tikka groups well enough, but so do the Howas and Remingtons. Brother inlaw has a Savage 116FSK (left handed) in 30-06. It shoots a tad over .50" five shot groups. The rifle with Federal Supremes shoots .65" groups. Has the old trigger. He loads with suspect dies ( has better ones, but not set up yet). Doesn't buy expensive bullets, and has maybe tried two kinds of powder. He also has a couple Rugers and Remingtons in bigger bores that shoot very well.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.