Tikka vs Savage

Bmanclark74

I want to buy a .25-06 for some long range hunting (out to 600 yards) and have heard good things about both of these brands. For Tikka I'm thinking about the lite stainless or the varmint stainless. And for savage the model 16/116 FCSS weather warrior. What are your thoughts?

Savage in 6.5-284 and forget those low bc 25cal bullets. I have seen several threads on forums about new tikkas that don't shoot well. Never used to see that . I'm worndering if the tooling is getting worn or if they are having other QC problems. If you don't like the caliber you buy you can switch ouy the savage barrel at home for less than $250 total. Good luck !

Here is another vote for Savage.

I love mine. They are cheap, and are great for barrel swaps as well.

If it won't shoot you can put on a barrel that will no sweat!

I have shot and worked up loads for several savages and a lot of Tikka's and my results maybe arent exactly fair. I have seen half of the savages shoot great and some were horrible. the bad ones were a 111BTH in 243, best it would do was 1 inch, and a 110FCPHS best it would do was 2 inches. However I built a load for a 116 300 win accustock model and it literally shoots 1/4" or less and the other good savage was a 12BVSS in 300 wsm is shot about the same. With some bedding I am sure the other 2 would have tightened up.

I have built loads for probably 10 different tikkas and without exception all were 1/2" or better rifles with load development and floating the barrel. My vote goes to tikka. I like how they feel and how light they are. to me its a great rifle. and inspite of the 22.5" barrel I can smack a 8" gong at 800 yards almost every time. My furthest kill with a tikka is at 760 yards with a 25-06.

Not saying anything against savage, but in my experience the tikka is a safe bet.

I tend to agree with you tikkamike...if I had to do it all over again..I'd have gone the tikka route. Better QC right off the bat. Yeah you dont have the modularity with the Tikka's compared to savage but its hard to go wrong with a tikka. I like my savage (now after being trued) but the reciever was off by .020 and the barrels are foul o matics...

I tend to agree with you tikkamike...if I had to do it all over again..I'd have gone the tikka route. Better QC right off the bat. Yeah you dont have the modularity with the Tikka's compared to savage but its hard to go wrong with a tikka. I like my savage (now after being trued) but the reciever was off by .020 and the barrels are foul o matics...

I forgot to mention the Tikka's have great barrels. best factory barrel I have seen and I look at a lot of them through a bore scope

I agree w/ tikkamike, the Tikka is a much better rifle and is well worth 200 more. Mine is a 7mm Rem Mag and it has not shot anything over 3/4" at 100 yds and will shoot 1/2" with Bergers. The barrel just does not foul, at least not yet.
Besides that it looks good which I can't say about the Savage

Tikkamike is on, having had both Savage and tikka just run the action..
Factory loads do shoot very well and reloading will give you even better groups...Tikka is my hunting rifle....

Get a Savage that doesn't come with the Accustock and build up the rifle.

Savage you can keep adding on with time, a custom stock this year, a match grade barrel next year..........

You get a Tikka that doesn't shoot you have to sell it. Not much choices for aftermarket stuff and not as easy of a build.

Go American, we build good ****. gun)

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.