Tikka T3X Roughtech 6.5 Creedmoor - learning to shoot

Marplot

On the way to me Tikka T3X Roughtech 6.5 Creedmoor with a Trijicon HX 6x24x50

I want to learn precision shooting. I have other rifles including Drillings, and a double rifle, mostly collector antiques, but am now focussed on getting a good tech rifle. The TIKKA seems a good one to start.

I have a Forstner Co Ax press and want to learn using this along with the Tikka. All set up and ready to go. Bought some Winchester 129 grain ammo from Walmart. I have brass and match grade bullets coming from Graf & Son. A friend gave me about a half pound Trail Boss and another of Unique.

Maybe I need other kind of powder?
Don't know what other questions to ask?

I suppose you can use the junk Winchester ammo to sight in your rifle. Who knows, maybe they'll shoot in your rifle. If using factory ammo, buy good match ammo and save money and time down the road.

Since you're new to long range shooting and reloading, I would suggest shooting factory ammo for a bit to get familiar with your rifle. You can get an idea how capable you and your rifle are at range. Once you have a good feel for the rifle and feel comfortable with it, perhaps then, dive into the rabbit hole of reloading. If you take on too much at once, it may be difficult to diagnose problems down the line as there are too many variables. Keep it simple at first.

Do you have all the equipment needed to reload?
Do you have primers?
What brass and bullets did you order?

I need how to shoot better. I thought that shooting the Winchesters would give me useable brass. I have ordered match grade bullets from Graf and Son. Also match grade dies.

First I need how to shoot better. There is a range near me that has some old timer range officers. I think they will help me learn how to shoot better. The range has some wonderful Konigsberg digital targets. 25, 59, 75, and 100yd.

These targets show your bullet on a screen where you are shooting. No need for paper targets! No walking. Last shot is in yellow.

Yes, I have 500 CCI Large rifle primers.
I have four boxes of Winchester 129gr
I have 1/2 pound of Unique and 1/2 pound Trail Boss powder. Don't have a clue if these powders are appropriate.

Attachments

• Konisberg Digital Target.jpg
    Konisberg Digital Target.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 28
Do you have a reloading manual? If not pick on up and read thru the how to part. It will also give you recommendations for powders.
For that cal you 4350 is a good start. Some powder companies let you access their data and that great but for start get a manual as well.

Welcome to the forum. I will second the comment on getting a reloading manual and spend time reading the instructions and recommendations. The 6.5 CM catches a significant amount of grief here. It is basically a fine cartridge that has been overhyped by the fan boys and marketing side of shooting/hunting. Put the powder you were gifted on the shelf and stay with recommended powders for your rifle.
Enjoy the journey into precision shooting and reloading.

The easy button is H4350, Lapua or Alpha small rifle primer brass, CCI 450's and Berger 140 hybrids. .020" off the lands and start around 40.5gr and work up to 43gr. You'll usually find a node at 41.5-41.6 and then again 42.2-42.7. Varget also works well with 130gr class bullets and is cleaner than H4340, more consistent lot to lot, and more temperature stable. It also doesn't create the nightmarish carbon rings that H4350 does. It's too fast for 140's though.

That Winchester ammo has shot surprisingly well in everything I've run it through. My Q Fix with Proof barrel was sub 1/2MOA with it and my Seekins PH2 is also sub half MOA and it's pretty consistent out to 800 yards or so for shooting steel.

The Hornady American Gunner 140gr BTHP is another good cheap target load that has shot great in no less than a dozen 6.5CM's for me. You can find it for about $1.20/rd delivered.

Even if you're going to load it's nice to have a couple cases of decent match ammo on hand in case you don't have time to load, don't want to load, or run out of components and they're unavailable.