Tikka t3x 7mm rem mag load question

Jpron

so what are you guys using? I'm not looking for your extra secret recipe, just a general bullet, powder combo. I got this a few weeks ago, broke in the barrel and started making some loads. Shot some a few days ago and the rest yesterday. Half of the loads I tried I would have 2 holes touching and the third would be an inch low and inch to the right or left. It was always the second or third shot in the string. Everything was seated at 3.29. I have searched on here and googled a bunch of times but it seems like most results were over 5 years old. Thanks

You should specify what bullet weight you're interested in shooting. I'm loading 150 ELD-Xs in my kid's 7mmRM with Re-23. It's a moderate load, only producing around 2,850 fps (he was only 90 lbs at that time) but he's taken an antelope buck, a small 6 point bull and a cow with it. I don't know how well that bullet will work at high velocity and close ranges but it's been 75% pass throughs at 200 yards and over. When he gets ready for full power loads i'll probably load up some max book loads with H1000 and 160 Nosler Accubonds. I've loaded lots of them for various rifles and they've become my "go-to" bullet for accurate loads and great terminal performance. 150 Swift Sciroccos can be finicky about seating depth but have good BCs and fantastic terminal performance. I also shoot lots of 168 and 180 Berger VLDs in other rifles and they work well but can't speak to them from a Tikka T3x.

Cross

168 Berger .065 off the lands and 2930 with H1000-N560-4831SC. All shot great at 2920-2930. Fit in the magazine at that length as well.

Honestly I really don't care about which bullet it is. I want to stay away from Barnes if at all possible ( I had a very bad copper fouling issue with there bullet in the past). I've really never been able to make the bergers fly and that was trying them in 4 different 7mm's. I'm pretty much out of stock on 7bullets and will be ordering more soon. Anyone try the new Sierra game changer?

Several of us load H1000, 215M, 168 Bergers in the best brass affordable. This shoots outstanding out to 500 in seven different rifles. Good luck

I use 143HH bullets in my 7rm, super accurate

I tried the GC bullets and wasnt super impressed, they were ok in my xbolt but other bullets were better.

Don't have the exact data in front of me, but I use RL-26, with Berger Elite Hunters (175gr) and get around 2930fps (26" barrel, Savage). Easy 0.5 moa, I have regularly hit out to 1600 yards (usually need a few to get dialed in). This was the first combo I tried and never had a reason to try anything else out.

so what are you guys using? I'm not looking for your extra secret recipe, just a general bullet, powder combo. I got this a few weeks ago, broke in the barrel and started making some loads. Shot some a few days ago and the rest yesterday. Half of the loads I tried I would have 2 holes touching and the third would be an inch low and inch to the right or left. It was always the second or third shot in the string. Everything was seated at 3.29. I have searched on here and googled a bunch of times but it seems like most results were over 5 years old. Thanks

My rifle is a Remington 700 26" with a 1 in 9 twist. I use IMR-4350 on the 140gr, 150gr and 154gr bullets. On the 160gr and 162gr I use Reloader 19. I do not have the exact charge weight on hand

On the first ones I'm at 0.54" at 100 yds. or better. On the 160gr and 162gr I'm currently at 1.0" and 1.1", still working on these ones to get at 0.5" or better. Also need to develop loads for the 175gr bullets I have

I have quite a few 7mm bullets available that I bought a few years ago so I haven't tried the new bullets like the Eld-X and other ones out there.

All 3. I just can't make the bergers (168)work. Maybe if I could seat them longer, but I'm not gonna make this rifle a single shot due to the short mag. Best I can get with the bergers is .9 inches at 100 yards. That's not good enough. I'm doing way better than that with half the gun and half the scope. I am getting.6 inches at 100 with sierras 160gr. Problem with them is the low bc. Maybe I worry to much about the bc. That's why I'm asking here for other ideas. I do have the Sierra game changers coming by end of week. I'm excited to try them.

I like the 160 Sierra for mine. I prefer the partition or accubond for elk. BC from a partition hasn't been a problem to 500 yards. Practice and a good rangefinder trumps bc past that. My rifle likes a full charge of h-4831 and h-870 (us-869 now) and a magnum primer.

The easiest to work with combination I've ever found for the 7mm rem mag, is 162 gr ELDX, and H4831SC. Maybe not the fastest powder for the 7 rm, but one of the most accurate. With the 4831, you should be able to safely push a 162 ELDX 3000 fps. And it's just accurate for some reason. Great BC for the weight too.

This combo is like a sore pecker. It's hard to beat. Every load I tried from min to max, produced sub 1" groups.

Backup gun: factory 7mm RM, nosler brass, Fed 215 primer, H4831 SC, 168 Berger LRH, 2850 Fps, 24 in" barrel...
Custom 7mm RM, Krieger 1:8.5, 26" barrel: Nosler brass, Fed215,
Reloader 22 or Reloader 23, Nosler 175 LR, 2930 fps. I'm visiting away from home, can't give you powder weights, but most are at max charge per published data. Nosler brass will not handle "over book" charges as I get primer pocket growth in one of these rifles. So I just stick with published data. Makes a great hunting round on each, not more than .625 inch on Nosler LRH bullet, and not more than .5" on Berger LRH (.090 off the lands on this load)

Last edited: