Tikka T3 Varminter owners

I do have a T3 stainless,but not a varminter,word of caution though with the T3,my front swivel stud came out during a eastern montana antelope hunt,when I used a harris bi-pod:( Every thing else about the gun is awesome!!Well balanced gun,and one of the most accurate long gun Ive ever owned.

No problems with my T3 Stainless Varminter in .308 either with the front stud (bipod used). Some people have reported problems with the plastic shroud on the bolt, but mine isn't having problems thus far.

I tried to put Burris Signature Zee rings (medium) on my Lupy 4.5x14x50 (not LR)and found they were too short--need the high rings. However I tried to screw the mounts to the T3 dovetail and they just look like they won't fit--too loose. Also very hard to krank the screw after cleaning the mounts with brake cleaner to remove any protective lubricant. I didn't install them because it was clear the scope wouldn't clear the barrel. This is probably another subject (sorry to hijack the topic) but the millet rings work fine because they have a screw on each side and are windage adjustable. The signature zee rings clamp from one side with the screw deforming the metal "leg".

Went out to re-sight in the scope after putting the old Millet rings back on and tightening everything down. Zeroed at 100 and then dialed out to 300. 100yd group of 3 is about 0.66" (I rushed the pull on the third). The 300 yard group is about 3.5". Federal Fusion 165's in .308 (factory MV on box = 2700fps). I think my shooting so far is limited by the skill of the shooter rather than the ammo.

I still need lots of practice as these groups are off my bipod with me squeezing a rear bag on the range's shooting bench (it was raining). I'm anticipating...I've shot about 150 rounds of commercial ammunition since the summer--not much and expensive. Now I'm a member at the local range and, I can reload and shoot at lunch every week if I want to. [image]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zupatun/detail?.dir=/9609&.dnm=8f10.jpg[/image]

[image]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zupatun/detail?.dir=/9609&.dnm=a2b6.jpg&.src=ph[/image]

Matt

I have a Tikka 30-06 Stainless Varminter here in Australia. Mine is accurate enough that I am able to compete in 1000 yard F-Class with it.

The best 5 shot groups are 1/3 of an inch at 100 yards with my reloads using Scenar, Berger, and SMK bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.