Tikka WSM Owners - Will a Magnum T3 mag work with the WSM?

hawk45

I've been eyeing a 300WSM and am leaning towards the Tikka. I have two questions that can help my decision.

1. Are the WSM throats long on the Tikka's? Plenty of freebore? Meaning is there plenty of room in the chamber to seat the bullets out far?

2. I know the WSM mags are on the short side even though all the Tikka's are on a long action. If I did the bolt-stop modification, could I use the 300WM magazines to take advantage of the WSM on a long action? I'd like to be able to use the heavy 30's and seat them out as intended over pushing them down into the case. Or at least have the option.

If not, possibly looking to go with the Winchester M70 with the longer action/mags.

Thanks,
John

Thank you for the reply. Is there plenty of freebore on the WSMs for the heavies seated out?

Hi guys,

First time posting on LRH, I too load for a Tikka 300 WSM, I currently can load to max mag length, around 2.880" OAL, but I'm a long was from the lands with 175-185gr Barnes and Berger bullets. I purchased a 300 long action mag so I could load longer and modify the bolt stop, but the long action mag width is too narrow for the WSM. I'm going to try to mill the inside out from .540" to .560" wide to fit the case.

Anyone able to use the 300 win mag for 300 WSM without modifying the inside of the mag?

Tikka300WSM,

I wonder if there has been some "generational changes" with Tikka magazine. I have been doing some research on this very issues. I have found internet posts from a few years ago stating that 300WSM would not fit in a 300WM magazine. but just a few weeks ago I pulled 300WM magazine out of a gun at the gun store and 300WSM cartridges fit in just fine. Definately no width problems. I also PM'ed 300 Ultra a week ago about this and he reports no feeding problems.

Joel

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.