Tikka t3 lite

Pigs r good

I was wondering just out of curiosity if the Tikka T3 Lite SS would be a good rifle to build up into a good long range rifle? Im asking because they garuntee at least MOA accuracy out of the box so they must be accurate enough? gun)

My only concern is that they are pretty light for serious LR work...My dad has one in a 7 RM and it does shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards w/150g NBT's, and will hold 4-5 inch groups at 500. The triggers are great and can be adjusted down to 2lbs with an allen wrench. I"d say there ok to about 600-700 for deer/elk, but light rifles are kinda hard to hold steady at long range. Other then that, they are accurate rifles and I dont think you'll have a problem hitting what you want to.

The only other concern I have with them is I believe they are kinda a pain to rebarrel if I remember correctly, if you decide to go that route when you shoot the factory barrel out. You dont see to many Tikkas w/aftermarket barrels. Theres gotta be some reason behind this??? I'm just not 100% sure what it is.

THX

Thanks for that info i think om just going to buy a used remington sendero for the same or a little more. :)

I looked at the Tikka lites, in 300wm, much TOO lite in that caliber IMO. Bought a used 695 for not much money, has steel detachable mag's, the new lite's are plastic and cost more, going bear hunting in three weeks and when I get back I plan to contact Mr. Russo about a stock for it.
I've heard much good things about Tikka's , so have departed from my much beloved Remington's. We'll see how things go.

I love my Lite, but I'm not actually a dedicated LR hunter- I just wanted a rifle that was capable of the long shots because by far most of what I hunt is much closer - under 300. Remington 2506 has a very good point. The heavior rifle is better suited for a serious lr hunting rifle. However, The tikka's are shooters. I was able to shoot a 3 and 5/8 group at 630 last weekend with 300wsm - I was pretty happy with that!

Tikka T3 270

My daughter's T3 Lite 270 is a kicker. Since I work up loads for that rifle, I have grown to hate it. I'd rather shoot any of the 300 mags before I shoot the T3. It is accurate, but the way the rifle goes together with the stock is foreign to me and I don't like it. The port is small and you have to load the rifle with a Barney mag routine to load 4 rounds. The rings need constant attention because of the sever kick. This sounds negative, but it is what it is, a light weight rifle for a skinny girl that can't hold normal weight rifles well. She doesn't know any different and just shoots it, well. Out of the box, it is 1/2" gun with no tuning.

I replaced the recoil pad with a limbsaver pad for 30 bucks and 5 minutes of work ;)

I also got rid of the rings and replaced them with Leupald base/ burris sig rings w/ inserts.

I have two (22-250 and 270 wsm) Tikka's and they are both shooters. I have not had any issues with anything except OAL when reloading, the mag limits OAL. The 270 wsm's recoil is not bad with a good after market pad.

It might not shoot 1,000 yards but it only cost $500.

The front Tikka aluminum ring that is supplied by the factory on the T3 Lite model is the only ring that is pinned to the receiver and it will deform under recoil from 7mm RM, 300 WSM and similar calibers. The steel pin in the front ring that protrudes down into the top of the receiver will deform the back side of the front ring under recoil, and if you examine the back side of the front ring, you'll see the deformation. I observed it on both of my 7mm RMs and on two other 300 WSMs. My brother has seen it on a number of other T3 Lites that have passed through his gun shop.

If you replace the Tikka T3 rings with a stronger set of rings that fastens to the receiver with the four threaded holes in the top of the T3 Lite receiver, and install a Limbsaver recoil pad, then the T3 Lites are ready for battle. Talley rings are light and will get the job done if you're trying to minimize weight. There are a number of other options also, but other bases and rings will likely weigh a bit more than the one-piece Talleys.

Tikka T3 Lites generally shoot ~3/4 moa or better right out of the box with a little testing of loads, either reloads or factory rounds.

They've got an abnormal recoil lug which is installed into the stock rather than onto the barrelled action, so I'm not sure how many aftermarket stocks are available for the T3 Lite model. There was another thread on this Forum that discussed how to modify the recoil lug so the Tikka barrelled action could be bedded to an upgraded stock a while back. A thread search should pull it up.

I have a T3 Lite in 270 Win, yes it kicks a bit when shooting from a benchrest, but not to bad IMHO. Its' recoil is much like my M700 KS Mountian Rifle in 280 Rem. Like lots of "Lite" rifles the initial recoil is sharp, but do to their lite weight they do not develope a lot of inertial force to go with that initial punch.
Compared to a 8 to 10 lb rifle in any of the 300 Mags, when you drop the hammer on one of puppies that energy has to go somewhere and it wants to "keep going" once put into motion.
Sometimes the laws of physics hurt... :D
How's that for putting lipstick on a pig?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts