Sako TRG-S and Tikka T3 Questions

Shark Bait

Hi Yall,

I am new to this forum, but not new to shooting. I have recently bought a Sako TRG-S in 7.21 Firebird and was really happy until I read all of the horror stories out here about the poor recoil lug and bedding issues. Can someone explain exactly what the issue is with the recoil lug/bedding and if it is 100% across the board on these rifles? Should I even bother trying to get it to shoot well or should I have a recoil lug and new stock installed first? This is kind of a let down as I thought Sako had their act together. In fact I thought so highly of the company that I also bought a stainless lite T3 Tikka in .270 WSM. Do the T3's exhibit the same recoil lug and bedding issues as the Sako? Overall what do you think of the TRG-S and T3?

Dave
confused.gif

[ 10-19-2004: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Shark Bait,
I messed around with a TRG-S in 7.82 Warbird for a friend. Very frustrating! I don't know how much the goofy recoil lug system contributed to the problem. I have talked to a couple of other TRG shooters that have managed .5 MOA. I would suggest that you shoot it and see what your rifle will do. I also suggest that if you handload start very conservatively. Lazzeroni's listed max loads are too hot in some rifles. I have heard of two TRG firing pins being broken and launched out of the back of the bolt into the shooters face. Fact or fiction I can't say it's just what I have heard. I would also recommend a cronograph. Max velocity comes with max pressure. And in the case of the TRG with it's 26" barrel max velocity may not be obtainable. Good luck with your new rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.