Tikka Hunting Rifle Build Question - 7MM Rem Mag

As an example, I will point out, the 6mm PPC (still, one of Today's, "best" Bench rest Target, Cal's) with it's, 30 degree shoulder and .285 neck length to support a .243 dia. bullet. Any deviation "very far" from, the ONE Caliber, neck length "rule" gets, boycotted, with some like, the 7mm WSM,.. more than, other's. The longer Neck allows, a slightly "torched throat" barrel to be, set back/ re-chambered for, a bit more bbl. "Life", as the bullet can be set, further "out" and still be held securely in the Neck.

Last edited:
I am curious is anyone has personal experience with a semi-custom Tikka build in a magnum cartridge? I am wanting to build a long range hunting rifle in 7mm Rem Mag set up to shoot the 195gr Berger bullets and plan to put it in a Manners stock. However I have read accounts of the Tikka stock recoil lug not holding over time to the magnum recoil, but have also read where the KRG recoil lug takes care of this. Planning on getting the donor rifle soon and if the Tikka won't hold up to the recoil I will be looking for a 700. Do you think with an aftermarket stock I should be good with this action and caliber?

"IF" the aluminum recoil lug is your only concern, you can always change it to steel for $30 at https://tikkaperformance.com/index.php?_route_=tikka-steel-lug

@ STEEL SLINGER,.. Look up, the United Kingdom 1,000 yard, Record holder, Vince Bottomley, using the 7mm-.300 WSM and on Accurate Shooter.com look up the 7mm Cartridge guide and scroll down, to the 7 mm WSM article, as it talks about, all 3 WSM cal's! They explain it real well ! Both the British and Canadian's LIKE, the 7mm- .300/.270 WSM, "Idea" for, Long Range accuracy. Hope this, help's !

Tikka Performance.com has a bottom metal that will let you use the full length of a AICS magazine.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.