Tikka Help

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Boom, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Boom

Boom Well-Known Member

Just picked up a T3 Lite in .223 as a training rifle. I've shot Tikka rifles before but never owned or set one up. Several questions about the rifle:

1) Putting a VX III 6.5-20x40 on it from another rig. What rings do I need to work with the integral base? I've been told the factory ones are not reliable.

2) Likely will not hand load for this rifle as I am trying to concentrate on handloads for other rigs. Twist is 1:9 and I have Hdy. 75 and Fed 69 gr. factory ammo. Any suggestions on what they usually like?

3) I checked Midway and spare magazines are expensive and "Coming Soon." Any alternatives?

Thanks for any help!

2. fieldsj66

fieldsj66 Active Member

bump for info

3. dyelynn

dyelynn Member

i've used the factory rings on my tikka in 270win and had no problems with them at all... fwiw.

4. Boom

Boom Well-Known Member

Follow up...

Other folks I have spoken to are about 50/50 on using the factory rings. I found out that Deadnutz and EGW both make base and ring sets that will work with Tikkas. I have a set on the way from Deadnutz (no problem with EGW I just wanted to see what Deadnutz product looks like) and will report back.
    Thanks

5. crittrgittr

crittrgittr Well-Known Member

I didn't like the tikka mounts on mine so I went with a set of leupolds. just make sure your screws are in the right holes. When I mounted mine they were backwards and the bolt wouldn't close. Rooky mistake, lesson learned. I am very satisfied with them though. I think they are the same as the rem. 700 mounts. I couldn't find bases for my tikka at the time.

6. Nikolakangrga

Nikolakangrga Well-Known Member

Talley lightweight rings/bases (one piece).

7. ejg

ejg Well-Known Member

The 223 stainless lite I have just loves Fiocchi 55gr sp, otherwise she is finicky and didn't like 75gr hornady hp.
    mounted a stainless roedale rail, makes swopping scopes between rifles easier.
    edi

8. Boom

Boom Well-Known Member

Follow up. Received a base/ring set from DeadNutz. Looks solid, very easy to install--took maybe five minutes. The hardest part was getting the plastic filler screws out of the Tikka!

Range report - Managed to shoot a little this morning. Two shots to zero the rifle, then shot both Federal 69 BTHP and Hdy. 75 gr BTHP. The Federal may have been a little better but the groups were close enough to call it a toss up as to which cartridge worked better. Take away is: The Tikka action is very smooth, 5 shot groups at 100 yds were definitely sub MOA, the DeadNutz seems to be a good fit, the trigger is easy to adjust and very crisp. Only outstanding issue may be with the stock in that it feels pretty cheap so I may replace it one day but certainly fine for now.