Tightest group at longest distance with shooting stciks.

I'm shooting a Rem7mmMag Sendero. What I don't understand is how do you shoot off any of these sticks without being able to do the equivalent of loading the bipod. I would think I'd have terrible muzzle leap. In the picture of Ernie Bishop perhaps he's not shooting with both hands at the back? Should you hold the forestock for this kind of shooting?

as long as you don't cry like a little girl when someone accidently steps on you leg:D you can probably guess where I live :rolleyes:

I played around with all kinds of holds that day.
Like a kid playing with a new toy.
I didn't try to load it. I shoot Harris bi-pods that are not loaded all of the time with great results.
My goal was getting steady and being consistent.
I'm shooting a Rem7mmMag Sendero. What I don't understand is how do you shoot off any of these sticks without being able to do the equivalent of loading the bipod. I would think I'd have terrible muzzle leap. In the picture of Ernie Bishop perhaps he's not shooting with both hands at the back? Should you hold the forestock for this kind of shooting?

as long as you don't cry like a little girl when someone accidently steps on you leg you can probably guess where I live

A Detroit player stepped on Aaron Rogers in the football game I referred to above.

Ernie are you saying you can shoot large calibre rifles accurately without loading the bipod or holding the foreend by way of hand and/or sling wrap? Without a muzzlebrake too?
I played around with all kinds of holds that day.
Like a kid playing with a new toy.
I didn't try to load it. I shoot Harris bi-pods that are not loaded all of the time with great results.
My goal was getting steady and being consistent.

I was just shooting a "braked" 7mm Dakota with 180's. Not much recoil.
Yes, I can shoot them accurately without loading them.
No, I do not shoot "unbraked" big boy cartridges with only my shooting hand on them.
Since most all of my rigs are braked, it is a non-issue for me.
I was not holding the forend of the rifle to make those shots.

Ernie are you saying you can shoot large calibre rifles accurately without loading the bipod or holding the foreend by way of hand and/or sling wrap? Without a muzzlebrake too?

This is one of the best articles I've read from rifle shooter magazine online. I have not experimented with it past 400yds but the method has kept me steady for groundhogs to that distance.
Benchrest Groups from the Field

I know the OP asked about shooting sticks but the method could be adapted for sticks.

I need to do some more experimenting before I commit to buying a set. I cobbled together two bipods I have and tried them out to test the concept. I shot a 2" group at 200yds using them extended from a standing position so I'm convinced they should work well. That's much better than I've been doing with just a set of crossed sticks.

I sprung for the Rudolph Optics Quad Sticks. Haven't shot with them yet, but here are my thoughts so far:

The screw heads on the upper pivots need to be capped so they don't scratch stocks.
Had to knock off a few burrs. Generally well made, but definitely not a high volume production item.

Sitting down with my Ruger Scout rifle it took a little practice to figure out how to get into position due to the bungee cords. The cords are pretty stiff, but that seems to be a good thing as they really seem to stiffen things up.

We'll find out how well they work this weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.