Thoughts on Spotting Scope Choices

guns_and_labs

So, I need (well, want) a better spotting scope. I use one for two things:

1. Seeing bullet holes out to 1,000 yards, and
2. Seeing antlers (and being able to score them) out to 2,000 yards or so.

I've been narrowing my choices down, and hoping that I can get some quality input here:

Kowa TSN-883 or TSN-884, 88mm, flourite, 20-60x zoom. This seems to be the go-to scope at the high end competitions, but I don't see it in the field. Then, it seems people only pop for the TSN-821 at half the price. Is it a cost thing, a weight thing, or what? Is this not a hunting spotting scope?

Valdada Optolyth 100mm HD, dual focus, Ceralin Plus, APO flourite lenses, probably with the 30x (but 60x is available). Size matters, right? So, is this as good as the Kowa, but with a little bigger objective?

Kowa High Lander binocular, 32x eye pieces. OK, this is outrageously expensive, but binoculars DO seem more comfortable. Are there any other choices out there, less outrageous, but that still can do the trick at over 1,000 yards?

What have I missed?

Using the Kowa 821 I can see antlers and rough score them at 2 K. I am not a horn hunter so I just know such things as how many points it has and how long the tines are. I can tell if an elk tine is 3 inches long or five inches long and I am no way an expert. I can see a deer's knees wobble at 700 yards and know another bullet is not needed.

It is a rare day that I (or any other space alien) can see bullet holes at 1K. Mirage is just nearly always too much for that.

Flourite is principally used to improve color transmission. Color is very in helpful in "seeing".

As the light goes bad an 88 is better than an 82 all other things equal and don't let anybody tell you different.

The Kowa is heavy to pack and that is good cardio exercise for those of us who don't get enough.

I was doing some research for a friend that wanted a high quality scope for a high country deer hunt and later for our antelope hunts.

The #1 scope rated by Cornell University was the Kowa 884. We looked through a few different units and he purchased one from Scott at Liberty Optics on this board.

Both choices were excellent. Scott made sure he had the scope by the time he was leaving on the trip. The scope was amazing. The clarity was incredible. We were watching the flies on a Llamas head at 260 yards and you could tell what kind of fly it was.
We tried the fly experiment with a Leupold scope and you could see something but not really tell the details.
He saw a buck at a mile across a canyon using the scope and could tell it was a nice 4x4. He didn't get the buck but the scope worked perfectly.
Do a lot of research and look through a bunch of different brands and models and see what works best for you. The Kowa is heavy compared to a Leupold or other small scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.