Thoughts/ideas about primer selection, primer storage, maintaining primer integrity?

Alibiiv

This question may sound basic to some, however there's not a whole lot of information out there about primers. One thing that I have learned about precision reloading and that is, "there is nothing basic about precision reloading", there's always something to learn. I have a couple of questions about primer selection and primer storage to maintain their integrity?

There are numerous threads on this forum containing lot of great information on bullets, brass, powder, "rifle" selection, cartridges/calibers, barrel twists, reloading dies and equipment, brass prep techniques; however, to me it seems almost like primers are taken for granted??? I did try a "Forum" search on primers, but only found a couple of threads that had more than five or six replies in them. One can have all the best of components, rifles and glass, if that little brass or silver insert in the base of the case isn't doing what it is supposed to do, then one has nothing at all but a FTF!

I personally select either "CCI" or "Federal" primers, although in the past I have picked up what was available due to shortages. If possible I will always pick up the "Large Rifle Magnum" primers to use in all of my rifle reloading (from .308 Winchester, .270WSM, 30-06, .358 Winchester, 35Whelen), recently found that "MATCH" primers are available. I store my primers in the basement in an old ammo can with a toggle clamp. I think that cans are good; however, I sometimes question the integrity of the rubber gasket on the lid and wonder if there are better storage containers other than what I am using?? I'd like to know what others thoughts are for primer selection, and how they are storing their primers to maintain the primer's integrity?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.