Thoughts for pre-64 Model 70 upgrades

I have a .280 Remington and a .243 in model 70 featherweight. My .243 drove me nuts until I put some pressure on the barrel at the tip of the forend. I placed a piece of 1/8" rubber under the barrel 1" from the forend and torqued everything back down. Sub Moa.

I have a pre-64 Winchester model 70 featherweight chambered in .30-06. I have tried multiple factory rounds and handloads to try to get this gun dialed in but have not had anything consistent enough for my liking. We're talking at best 2" moa at 100 and then worse from there. This gun has some sentimental value to me so I would like to start shooting/hunting with it again more often. What are your guys thoughts on barrel/trigger/bedding/stock upgrades that won't completely "ruin" the classic and overall look and feel of the gun. I feel like most of my issue may be with the barrel and bedding since those barrels are so thin. As a result you can't free float them with the factory barrels otherwise you get worse results. Thoughts on how to make this at least somewhat better without "ruining" the gun overall? Or should I just let the old girl stay bone stock and admire it for what it is?
Get you a Limbsaver barrel tuner and slide onto the barrel up to about a 1/2" from the stocks forend. Shoot 2 rounds then adjust outwards at 1/2 increments, shoot 2 more, adjust another 1/2" and so on. Somewhere as long the line you'll get your ammo tuned to your barrel harmonics, and your groups will tighten up. I have used these on two different rifles with pencil barrels that were shooting an average of 2" groups at 100 yards. One now shoots sub MOA at 100, the other shoots bugholes.

Anytime that you are happy with how your gun is shooting you have to count that as a victory . Today most guys feel that the barrel must be free floating to achieve consistent groups , and that seems to have worked the best for me . But if it works and you think it will continue in all weather conditions that's all a guy can ask.

Anytime that you are happy with how your gun is shooting you have to count that as a victory . Today most guys feel that the barrel must be free floating to achieve consistent groups , and that seems to have worked the best for me . But if it works and you think it will continue in all weather conditions that's all a guy can ask.
Its easier if it is free floating barrel, but remember the most prolific sniper used a Bolt Action Mosin Nagant M1891/30. NOT free floated. Also, Steyer Manlicher rifles are very accurate and not free floated.

I have a pre-64 Winchester model 70 featherweight chambered in .30-06. I have tried multiple factory rounds and handloads to try to get this gun dialed in but have not had anything consistent enough for my liking. We're talking at best 2" moa at 100 and then worse from there. This gun has some sentimental value to me so I would like to start shooting/hunting with it again more often. What are your guys thoughts on barrel/trigger/bedding/stock upgrades that won't completely "ruin" the classic and overall look and feel of the gun. I feel like most of my issue may be with the barrel and bedding since those barrels are so thin. As a result you can't free float them with the factory barrels otherwise you get worse results. Thoughts on how to make this at least somewhat better without "ruining" the gun overall? Or should I just let the old girl stay bone stock and admire it for what it is?
you should sell it to me...

I too have a Model 70 that has sentimental value to me and it was a chore getting it dialed in. Finally got a 160 PT load figured out after a long struggle. Best $13.00 I ever put into that rifle was the MCarbo trigger spring upgrade and adjusted the over travel. Turned a terrible trigger into a crisp 1.9 pound pull with no over travel.

I agreed with. 007 Professional cleaning. Job. With. J and B , Pilar bed, free float barrel trigger. Job. Or. Upgrade the trigger , then. Proper. Load development! Important to. Know. Chamber length ,and discover. The. Best COAl and Best OGIVE length with What ever. Bullet you have selected. ! Hornady and Sinclair have the. Gauges you will. Need ! Love that. Classic rifle. Best of luck!!!!

My stock late 50s M70 fwt in 30-06 shoots factory Federal Premium 165g ammo well, typically a 3/4" group for 3 shots. Boringly reliable with that ammo.

I have several pre 64 Model 70 Winchesters and I really enjoy tweaking them to improve performance. Here is a list of things that I personally do and it is in the order that I would go and you will see performance improve with each step.
1. Install a Timney #401 trigger and lower the trigger pull. The trigger installs easily. Just be slow when moving the rear trigger pin to the side so the bolt stop stays in place. If you completely remove the pin the bolt stop spring and pin will fly to the far ends of the world.
2. Glass bed the recoil lug with Brownell's AccuGlass. This will really keep the action from moving if there is some slack around the recoil lug.
3. Try a handload with the 150 grain Sierra GameKing with 57 grains of Reloader 17. Second choice would be the 150 Grain Sierra GameKing with 51 grains of IMR 4064. On both loads set the base of the bullet flush with the back of the case neck.
4. If the rifle is a standard grade and it's still not grouping well the best option is to change the stock. I wouldn't recommend changing the barrel channel on a standard grade. If the rifle is a featherweight you can freefloat the barrel just by removing wood the thickness of a sheet of sandpaper. Cut the sandpaper in strips about an inch wide and hold the paper together above the stock so it doesn't bell shape he channel at the top.
5. Install a Pachmayr one inch thick Decelerator Pad. I like the ones with the basketweave pattern on the back. Make sure the length of pull in not too long. If the stock drags on your clothing when you shoulder the rifle the pull is too long. This is the most expensive step and it will cost about $125 for a gunsmith to shorten the stock and install the pad.

Last edited:
^^^ You had me right up to #5.

150 gr Sierra Gameking over 51gr IMR-4064 is classic load that pre-64 FWT M70s love. That's all my 77 year old buddy has shot for the last 50+ years. Deer, elk, bear, you name it.

Last edited: