Thoughts for pre-64 Model 70 upgrades

RebelGuard

I have a pre-64 Winchester model 70 featherweight chambered in .30-06. I have tried multiple factory rounds and handloads to try to get this gun dialed in but have not had anything consistent enough for my liking. We're talking at best 2" moa at 100 and then worse from there. This gun has some sentimental value to me so I would like to start shooting/hunting with it again more often. What are your guys thoughts on barrel/trigger/bedding/stock upgrades that won't completely "ruin" the classic and overall look and feel of the gun. I feel like most of my issue may be with the barrel and bedding since those barrels are so thin. As a result you can't free float them with the factory barrels otherwise you get worse results. Thoughts on how to make this at least somewhat better without "ruining" the gun overall? Or should I just let the old girl stay bone stock and admire it for what it is?

All of those planned or done except free floating barrel. It will undoubtedly make cold bore shots more accurate, however groupings get way worse with these things free floated. If I get an upgraded barrel then I'm for sure going to free float. Just debating on how factory to keep it

All of those planned or done except free floating barrel. It will undoubtedly make cold bore shots more accurate, however groupings get way worse with these things free floated. If I get an upgraded barrel then I'm for sure going to free float. Just debating on how factory to keep it
A new barrel with a precision chamber and fit will likely make the gun shoot but it may affect the value of the rifle. Maybe put it in the safe and keep it as a keep/sake then get a modern rifle with a better barrel.

Clean the barrel down to white metal make sure no copper is left then try a 150 or 165 partition I had the same problem with one awhile back and this closed group size by 2/3s

Clean barrel
Load up 165gr Hornady Interlock flat base bullets (#3040) over 56.5 gr +/- 0.5 gr H4350. Seating depth at cannelure.
Observe 3/4 MOA groups

Load works in all 3 of my pre-64 FWT 30-06 M70s.

If the above doesn't work, you need an exorcist, not a gunsmith.

Last edited:
What vancewalker007 said. Leave it alone. Unless its beat to hell you'll cuss yourself later down the road.

Clean barrel
Load up 165gr Hornady Interlock flat base bullets (#3040) over 56.5 gr +/- 0.5 gr H4350. Seating depth at cannelure.
Observe 3/4 MOA groups

Load works in all 3 of my pre-64 FWT 30-06 M70s.

If the above doesn't work, you need an exorcist, not a gunsmith.
Same results/same powder/bullet with my Pre-64 in 30-06. Also shoots well with Nosler 165gr Accubonds and Ballistic Tips. .5-.75MOA. Check your barrel crown and bedding. If your rifle is in nice shape, I wouldn't de-value it.

Sounds like it's time for an aggressive barrel clean. I'm running 56.5gr H4350 already so I'll be setup for that ready to go. I think I've got a box of 165 interlocks laying around for it I'll try loading up. I'll let you know what happens

I have one in .280 Remington. It would not shoot, similar to yours. A smith added a little forend pressure, cut off the crown, and re-crowned it. Shoots .3 now at 100 with factory ammo. It was easy to carry. But I upgraded to a 280 Ackley as my primary hunter now. I think the forend pressure did the trick!

A Teslong bore scope may give you more info on rifling, cleaning and crown status. Not expensive either.

Is the trigger heavier than 2 or 3 pound or gritty? I ask as in my experience it can be deceiving how big an impact this can have on accuracy and an upgrade does not have to be very expensive plus you can always put factory trigger back in to keep value.

JB

I have a pre-64 Winchester model 70 featherweight chambered in .30-06. I have tried multiple factory rounds and handloads to try to get this gun dialed in but have not had anything consistent enough for my liking. We're talking at best 2" moa at 100 and then worse from there. This gun has some sentimental value to me so I would like to start shooting/hunting with it again more often. What are your guys thoughts on barrel/trigger/bedding/stock upgrades that won't completely "ruin" the classic and overall look and feel of the gun. I feel like most of my issue may be with the barrel and bedding since those barrels are so thin. As a result you can't free float them with the factory barrels otherwise you get worse results. Thoughts on how to make this at least somewhat better without "ruining" the gun overall? Or should I just let the old girl stay bone stock and admire it for what it is?
Leave it or sell it as is! Pre 64s are bringing big dollars these days! Then buy accuracy!

I had a pre-war Model 70 30-06. I had to get the action and barrel bedded before it would shoot well. I reloaded and had best luck with 165 gr bullets. I stopped using it for many years, and recently gave it to my brother. I no longer had handloads for it and tried the Hornady 178 gr Eldx factory loads. They shot very well, grouping under MOA at 100.

Recent Posts