This weeks incursions

Hugnot

I like most of you that frequent the internet for various reasons like communicating with other with like interests in wholesome friendly dialog (LRH:)), news, scheduling med appointments, scheduling home & auto services, shopping and banking. All this activity requires access to an email account and/or use of a password.

I live in Montana.

I came across an email from Micro Soft advising me that my email account had been accessed from an IP address in Arizona. The M-S email asked me to view my recent activities page (on start, settings, then accounts) and then respond if I did access my account from that AZ IP address. I checked & a 21.... IP address accessed my email account. I replied "no", I up-graded my password to a 14 place password having numbers, lower case, upper case & special characters. This required access to my backup email address. I also changed my M-S 25 character reset code (5 groups of 5 alpha numeric separated by -"s) and received a new code.

Not quite the end. The next day I received a blizzard of junk type emails of the "phishing" nature. I dutifully reported them to M-S as being "phishing" - like "You Have Received a $100 gift reward from XXXXXX - OPEN IMMEDIATELY". The same morning I received another Micro Soft advisory to check my recent activities page and report back if it was me who accessed the email account rom my friendly IP address. I checked, it was me and I said "Yes". The junk emails continued to pour in, like 50 per day, almost all of them "phishing" types - cash awards from large retailers. I reported them as "phishing" to M-S. Two days later the blizzard of junk stopped.

Next step will be reporting this to Federal Trade Commission & AZ AG, having saved access info for suspect & M-S advisories. I hate cheats.

Know your Internet security options.

Then to end the week. Upon leaving church at 12:15 PM, Sunday, we decided to stop at our local Cabela Outpost (smaller store). We never made it. This young male about 25 YO, followed us into the Cabela' parking lot screaming obscenities. Not sure what the problem was, I acknowledged his distress, thinking that I somehow had unknowingly had caused some accident or had witnessed some incident. The young guy then drove up directly behind us blocking our exit from the parking space and continued to scream obscenities. No retreat & we can't run fast. Being armed (CCW) & having a mid-size gel type bear spray (both not displayed) I was very careful & only wanted to defuse this situation. Soon a small crowd gathered. One younger male observer said, "meth head" another man said, "anything can set them off". I observed no maggoty teeth, no facial zits, & no dilated pupils. The excited one drove off. I was then informed that a 911 call had been made to LE. Five minutes later the excited one was seen cruising the other end of the parking lot. Soon after, a very nice professional officer took our report. The entire incident was videoed by smart phone by the person who made the 911 call.

Be nice, calm, CCW, and avoid going out after dark.

#1 was a calculated attack by those with knowledge of hacking methods. Possibly "captcha" - like click on images of traffic lights and so forth requiring human eye/hand might have prevented threshing thru each character of password looking for a match. Been there & done that decades ago in legit efforts to recover files in the days of crude computing. I do daily malware scans and M-S Defender gets used. In any event this situation has drawn me into learning more about defense from this type of thing. Learn something new every day.

#2 hard to determine - One observer who had experience with this sort of thing indicated it was meth. The guy seemed hyper active & jittery. Past experience indicates some type of intoxication. There have been two local situations where young males using meth have driven thru heavily traffic areas at speeds of 80-100 mph and have only been stopped by crashes or spike strips. Mug shots of these people have shown no indications of meth. Delirium is a real possibility. To accomplish what he did required running a free stop at a red light and speeds over 15 mph in a crowded parking lot.

Everybody stay safe!

Last edited: