Thinking seriously about a TITANIUM CARBON build looking for input

turkn8r1

I am seriously looking to build a full custom either 7 STW or 300 RUM. I want to use a PIERCE titanium action and a PROOF RESEARCH barrel with a muzzle brake. Would also like a carbon stock might as well go totally insane. I want detachable magazine and custom trigger of course. I'm sure there are some quality builders out there that can do it. I just can't seem to locate any that want to work on either titanium or carbon together. The one exception seems to be some of the manufactures but either I can't seem to get the exact components I would like or the specs I want. I'm sure that with the wealth of knowledge and experience on this sight there are plenty of recommendations out there. I would even collect the action, the barrel blank, trigger and then the stock and bottom metal as a result of the smith's recommendations just to have a light, quality, accurate rifle built. Fit , finish and accuracy very important. I realize that just the components are going to be crazy $$$. Input please.

All sounds good but the DBM is adding unnecessary weight. I would ditch it. There are numerous great smiths. I will mention Alex Wheeler, Keven Weaver, Southern Precision, Pierce Engineering, the list goes on.

I like the idea....is it gonna be an everyday...or do you have a closet full for other shooting....
I would rather sell off my trinkets and have one complete sexy do it all rifle for hunting, shooting...something that wouldnt break the bank...and still be a longdonger.......7stw will cost a lot to shoot..and be tough on barrel life...
I would do it in 280ai, 7wsm, or 7rm......all pretty close in ballistics and get components.......
But yep....titanium action, carbon barrel and stock......sweetness....

Look at Straight Jacket Armory's Packlite model that might work for you
Their website could use some serious work but if they are selling a Ti carbon setup for 4200 that is a great deal. I am just going to throw this out there I am extremely happy with my Fierce CT edge and it check all of your boxes. The DBM on it is super light. Have built many customs and the CT Edge is my favorite long range hunting set up.

What's your end goal with this rifle?

You can easily get into the 6.5 empty rifle range with a steel action, carbon barrel and a carbon stock . I would go with a 4 inch wywtts mag box and bdl bottom metal but thats just me. This would save a lot of coin off of a titanium build and open up to many more smiths.

I know west Texas ordinance will build on titanium and have heard nothing but good about them.

I'm having a high 6 pound rifle built by Alamo Precision rifles who have a good deal of carbon barrel and stock experience. This will be my 4th from them with the first 3 shooting .5 out to 600 yards.

Advanced Weapons Technologies LLC, Don Fraley. Should have a good write up coming this spring in Shooting Times. Don builds world class rifles. Tell him Tommy Roupe told you to call. You will be surprised in his prices after you speak with him.

What's your end goal with this rifle?

You can easily get into the 6.5 empty rifle range with a steel action, carbon barrel and a carbon stock . I would go with a 4 inch wywtts mag box and bdl bottom metal but thats just me. This would save a lot of coin off of a titanium build and open up to many more smiths.

I know west Texas ordinance will build on titanium and have heard nothing but good about them.

I'm having a high 6 pound rifle built by Alamo Precision rifles who have a good deal of carbon barrel and stock experience. This will be my 4th from them with the first 3 shooting .5 out to 600 yards.

I would love to here your specs because I have several steel actions with carbon barrels and every one of them is closer to 7 with the action, barrel, brake, trigger, and wyatt box with aluminum bottom metal.

If getting as light as possible while maintaining shootability is your primary goal you really are going to have to weigh every single component, specify desired weight to the smith, or buy something already together. I built two identical rifles with bartlein #5s, manners eh1s, and pierce actions, one cm, the other ti. They were within a few ounces of each other when complete. When counting ounces they really do add up.

Plenty of good options listed above. Hells Canyon Armory is another one to look into assembling components. Builds his own carbon barrels and is familiar using them with McMillan or Manner's stocks and lone peak Ti actions. A 300 RUM would demand some respect out on the hunting field. A 215 berger at RUM velocities is tough to beat on a recoil/knockdown power balance. You're on the right track! Don't be afraid to call around, if you don't get the right vibe from somebody then don't use them. All of the listed above companies have provided excellent builds for customers. Comes down to what you want and what you decide.

Plenty of good options listed above. Hells Canyon Armory is another one to look into assembling components. Builds his own carbon barrels and is familiar using them with McMillan or Manner's stocks and lone peak Ti actions. A 300 RUM would demand some respect out on the hunting field. A 215 berger at RUM velocities is tough to beat on a recoil/knockdown power balance. You're on the right track! Don't be afraid to call around, if you don't get the right vibe from somebody then don't use them. All of the listed above companies have provided excellent builds for customers. Comes down to what you want and what you decide.
Mike is running a group buy on Rokslide.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.