THINKING OUT LOUD ON A VARMINT GUN

milkie62

I read an article on the Thompson Center Compass getting .5 and less MOA. Been wanting to go praire dog hunting with a buddy. When these come on sale they are $200 and with coupons I could get them for slightly less @ $180. At that price and accuracy was thinking of just buying 2 and outfitting them the same way instead of paying the bigger money. This way We could just keep switching guns as they somewhat cool down.

For a budget varmint gun I would look elsewhere from a Compass.

Namely- the Remington 783-- you can have a 22-250, .223, .243, 6.5cm in several choices to include a heavy barrel 16.5" or 24" model. They will all run around $250-350. They shoot lights out, there are aftermarket stocks, bottom metal and even barrels available. Which gives you the choice to change things up if you shoot out a barrel or want a different chambering.

I have 2, one .308 and one 6.5cm. The .308 shoots under 1/2" with factory Hornady Amax ammo and a VX5 scope. I'm contemplating getting another and screwing on a 22cm tube for a varmint gun.

For a budget varmint gun I would look elsewhere from a Compass.

Namely- the Remington 783-- you can have a 22-250, .223, .243, 6.5cm in several choices to include a heavy barrel 16.5" or 24" model. They will all run around $250-350. They shoot lights out, there are aftermarket stocks, bottom metal and even barrels available. Which gives you the choice to change things up if you shoot out a barrel or want a different chambering.

I have 2, one .308 and one 6.5cm. The .308 shoots under 1/2" with factory Hornady Amax ammo and a VX5 scope. I'm contemplating getting another and screwing on a 22cm tube for a varmint gun.

I have a couple of the old budget 788's in 308,222 and they shoot tacks. 783 sounds like it is in the same type of family of budget guns that shoot very well.

Sounds like a great price, no experience with those. You might check out the Savage model 12 FV at Cabelas/Bass ProShops. $420..they recently had a 10% rebate on them. They have 223 and 22-250 available, that would be good choices. Not sure why you can't get these in 204 or 243...a Savage marketing deal I guess. You can dress them up nice (get rid of the cheap plastic stock) with a laminated-thumbhole Boyd's replacement for around $150 I think.

If you're on a budget or just trying to keep cost down to a minimum, as much as I hate to admit it, the Rem 783 is a very solid choice.

Unlike their older brother the Model 700 which has a hammer forged barrel, all 783's come with button rifled barrels and from the gunsmiths I've talked to that have built off of these actions, they're pretty darn true from the factory.

The worst part about the 783 is nearly all of them come with the crappy plastic stocks. Remington does have one 783 model called the "783 Walnut" that comes with a usable stock and would be worth bedding, but that particular model doesn't really come in any varmint calibers. You can get them in 6.5 Creedmoor so maybe that would work for you.

Correction, I just looked and Remington makes a 783 Varmint model you can get in 223 and 22-250 that comes with a nice laminated stock and I see Cheaper Than Dirt has those available in 22-250 for $444. For a gun with a button rifled barrel, detachable mag, nice laminated stock, and a pretty decent tuneable trigger, that would be a lot of gun for not a lot of money.

Last edited:
The Howa Mini 1500 has been on sale recently for an unbeatable price lately. Find some on Gunbroker or a dealer such as First Stop Gun (SD). An arguably "better" rifle than that cheap Compass for a few more bucks.
That laminated Remington 783 mentioned above also caught my eye, for those if us who prefer more barrel on our varmint rifles. My go-to "cheap" varmint rifle is the ubiquitous Savage FV, but that Rem. looks like it could give the Cabela's special a run for its money.

Last edited:
I just figured instead of spending a lot of money on a heavy barrel varmint gun, I could get by with purchasing 2 of the same rifle and caliber on sale and be ahead of the game and be a lot easier to recoup some of my money should I want to sell them later.

I really like how petite the Howa Mini action is. For something like a moderately heavy barreled varmint rifle I think they're just about ideal. I suspect that if you want a 1.25" cylinder barrel that they're not rigid enough.

As hard as you try, I doubt two rifles of the same make and caliber will shoot exactly the same. This is where I think the 'shoot one while the other cools' gambit will fall down. Maybe they'll be close enough for it to work and maybe not. Not worth the gamble IMHO.

Hi, Med Heavy Barrel Savage 110/HK, in .308 . Bedded and Free Floated from the factory. Accu Trigger . (its OK ) Sightron 36X scope .115 Grn. Berger Target Bullets /40,0 Grns. 3031. Several one hole
IMG_1682.JPG
3 shot 100 yard groups .162 /,167/.221. /224. Hornady 110 grn. V MAX shoot pretty good too. Change the scope and I could use the rifle for 600 yard Tactical shooting, or Varmint shooting, or just fun target shooting. 250 rounds fired single shot through it. This will be a Score Shooting Rifle not group shooting ) for me at Bench Rest matches.

Attachments

• IMG_1878 3 shot Group 308 Berger 115 grn.JPG
    IMG_1878 3 shot Group 308 Berger 115 grn.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 287
I just figured instead of spending a lot of money on a heavy barrel varmint gun, I could get by with purchasing 2 of the same rifle and caliber on sale and be ahead of the game and be a lot easier to recoup some of my money should I want to sell them later.

Main issue is see here is scopes systems and any upgrades. That $200 is EASILY tripled once you add in rail/rings/scope. If you upgrade triggers or anything else, it gets even worse.

For that kind of money, Brownells regularly puts the Howa barreled actions on sale. Replace with s stock of choice and you're money ahead.

The Savage 12FV at Cabela's is also regularly around $300-$350.

I just think you're ahead with a single system set up the right way.

Ruger American Varmint is hard to beat. Shot 2 after I mounted scopes for friends. Both 22-250 and couldn't believe how accurate they were!
One shot well under .5 Moa with factory Hornady ammo, the other shooting my favorite hand load was .5 MOA at 200. Made me wonder why I have invested in custom Varmit rifles. Bore scoped both and sure not like the Ruger barrels of the past

Cabela's has a exclusive model. Savage fc10 I think 5r rifling accustock threaded barrel tactical bolt knob good trigger 549 on sale I have a223 and 22-250 both shoot .3 everyday. Can't beat that for a factory rifle I have a couple customs that won't do much better Dick has the same gun with a blind magazine for 499

I have a private 300 yd range at home. The few TC Compass that have showed up here with friends (mostly 6.5cm) have shot outstanding. Enough to get me interested if they went on sale again. Way beyond their price range and groups as you have read. Sporter barrels heat up really quick though. Very little aftermarket available if you decide to upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.