thinking of buying a new gun

DwRuger

I was looking at at savages web page and they offer 116fsak 338win mag accu trigger, 24", 1:10 twist,ss fluted barrel with a adjustable muzzle brake. Does not say if it is a heavy barrel or not. What I was wondering is that they also offer a 116fss which is the same exept not fluted or no muzzle brake. would it be better to buy the cheaper 116fss and have these options added or buy the 116fsak this way. Also can't decide 338 or 300 win mags thanks

DWruger, the FSAK is long action and the FSS is short action. I happen to like those WSM's. 300 or 338 both are good calibers.

What will you be hunting? At what range?

You don't need a brake with a WSM.

DwRuger -

I just bought a Savage Model 116FSS in 7mm Rem. Mag. I spent the last month researching and asking a lot of questions on this forum and many others. I received very good input from the folks here and elsewhere. I compared all the Mfr's, Rem. Weatherby, Win., Sako, etc. and settled on the Savage based on cost/quality/ and out of the box accuracy IMHO.

I'll be changing the factory stock to a McMillan and have just ordered a new Kahles 3-9x42 scope.

John M. has a good question relative to what and where you'll be hunting and distances expected.
Good luck

On savages sight they show 2 different 116fss one is a short action one is long under weather king or something like that. Any how the distance I'm thinking about was 1000yds and maybe in the future bear hunting with it but not sure this would be the right gun but not worried about that right now just targets. Its just the price for the 116fsak is under $600 just wondering if it was worth it or buy the new 116fss long action for close to $100 cheaper and have muzzle break and better barrel added Thanks for your help ( and I'm sry for what may be stuiped questions new at this)

FWIW, on Savage's site there is also a legend to the abbreviations used in the model numbers so you can figure out what gun they are and what options it has.

DwRuger -

The short actions are the "16" series while the "116" is the long actions. Don't get those confused. The 16 short actions are for the WSM Rifles up to the 300 WSM only. The 116FSS is a long action for .270's and up 338 Win Mag & 300 Ultra Mag.

You need to look closely at what you plan on shooting and distances, i.e., Bear and out to 1000 yards. What type and size of Bear?

I bought my 116FSS for $437.00. I will have it re-stocked by McMillan. I elected not to add a brake at this time. If the re-coil becomes un comfortable I'll have a "Vais" brake added later.

Why not go ahead and get the 300RUM with brake? I have one and it shoots better than avg. and with little recoil!! The barrels are heavy enough on these rifles similar to a four taper.Mine shoots one holers with the factory stock, would be better with Mc
stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.