Buying a New Rifle

Anschutz

I am looking for a medium to long range Tack Driver that is capable of taking up to Elk and Moose. This means at least a 6.5mm caliber with the .270 or larger being better. Right now I hunt with a NEF Handi-Rifle .270 or borrow my father's Ruger M77 .270. I like the Ruger very much but it's been thirty since that rifle rolled off the Assembly line and they've come along with the M77MkII and now the Hawkeye. My father and I both handload so I am not limited to factory loads but do like the option if needed and it makes break-in easier. So far I have narrowed the rifles of interest down to:

Remington 700 SPS: I don't know about accuracy with this one but being a 700 any options are made available.

Savage Long Range Hunter: Have some experience with the FT-R .308 and like it besides the Accu-Trigger. Don't particularly care for muzzle breaks though.

Ruger Hawkeye Sporter or Mk.II Target: I like the smoothness of the Original M77 and have heard this carried over with subsequent models.

Does anyone have experience with any of these rifles and how was accuracy, bolt smoothness, and trigger? Thanks in advance for any help.

-Cadet Wells

Take a look at the Remington Senderos for the long range portion of your question. Also, I would really consider a 30 cal for elk and moose.

Thanks, The Sendero is a little out of my price range and weight wise I'd like to be able to carry it around. The purpose of this rifle is part of my pre-Graduation plan.

I am a Yearling(Sophomore) at West Point and would like to keep my number of weapons down so it easier when the Army wants me to move about but still have as many niches filled as I can since I don't know where they will want me.

I also found a surprise while surfing around, The Weatherby Vanguard S2 is guaranteed MOA and at $450, I think I may have to get that. Plus it has a two-stage trigger, which I use everyday on my Anschutz rifles. I always have thought Weatherby=$$$$$. Now to decide between 7mm or .300. Thanks for your help.

-Cadet Wells

To improve on the Weatherby a bit, swap the plastic stock for a Bell & Carlson unit, bed it correctly, and you'll have a great rifle. Not that they aren't nice as-is, but you will be much more consistent with a better stock.

Thank you sir,

I was hoping the Weatherby would be a get more than what you pay for and then I could do what I needed to make it a great shooter. Only question is, what does Weatherby consider premium ammo for their guarantee. Is this like Hornady and Federal Premium or something else.

Thanks,
Cadet Wells

I believe Weatherby is generally referring to their own ammo, which I have found is pretty close to their claimed velocities.

I own a Weatherby Vanguard stainless chambered in 300 WBY. Overall I think it is a good value for a solid rifle. It has a strong action, and though it doesn't have the best factory trigger, it is easily adjustable down to 3-1/4 pounds. I have enjoyed it, but I agree that a better stock would be my first choice in upgrades.

I might also recommend a muzzle brake. I don't have one yet, and I got whacked in the forehead and nose by my scope while shooting prone at the range the other day. First time for me, but taught me to keep the pad firmly on my shoulder.

Good luck. Let us all know what you decide.

Thanks, The Weatherby site said "SUB-MOA Accuracy Guarantee ensures .99" or less 3-shot group at 100 yards when used with Weatherby factory or premium ammunition." and since Weatherby doesn't make 7Mag or 300WinMag ammo, what is an equivalent.

-Cadet Wells

You are correct about Weatherby not making ammo for those cartridges. So I did a little digging. On the Weatherby site, under FAQ's, this is one question listed and the answer:

Does Weatherby® recommend specific ammunition for each caliber to get the best accuracy?

Following are some of the initial loads used in Weatherby's shop when testing for accuracy:

300 Win Mag : Federal Power-Shok 180 grain Speer Hot-Cor SP (300WBS)

Federal Vital-Shok 180 grain Barnes Triple-Shock (P300WP)

7mm Rem Mag :
Federal Power-Shok 175 grain Soft Point

Federal Vital-Shok 160 grain Barnes Triple-Shock (P7RN)

Another route you might want to consider is buying a used rifle and having it accurized. Ive had better luck that route than most new rifles and money ahead.

As you have seen for yourself there are many options out there. The vangaurd line is a solid foundation. Good strong action and good accuracy (257 vangaurd that shoots .3's with upgraded stock, trigger, and bedding) and I also have 2 stevens that i have bed, put new triggers on, and stocked them both in boyds and they are 1/2MOA shooters with handloads. I always look for the stable platforms and then enjoying building up that accurate rifle that I have 100% confidence in :)

Cadet Wells, the 300 WM and 300 Weatherby cartridges are almost the same except the Weatherby does better with 200 gr. and heavier bullets. However Weatherby cartridges are a lot more costly. Have you chosen to not consider a good used American made 300 WSM and shoot it until the barrel falls off and then replace the barrel later down the road. To me all the rifles you mentioned are about the same. While opinions on them are hot button items. For long range I would not reccomend anything with integral scope mounts except CZ and tapered 1 piece bases for them is a bit spendy if you have to have someone else drill and tap for you. Get any good used rifle and wear it out and fix it up!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.