Thinking about rebarreling a Weatherby Accumark in 30-378

drenner43

Just a couple questions. I've got a factory accumark in 30-378 and I'm thinking about rebarreling with a custom barrel. First question, any barrels I should stay away from? I see ER Shaw is cheaper than everyone it seems, I'm assuming there is a reason for that?

Secondly, Got several local gunsmiths that are said to be pretty good, but not sure how good or familiar they are with the Mark V action. Do I need to find someone specializing in the Weatherby? Or should anyone who is good enough with a Remington or Savage be able to handle a quality/accurate rebarrel on the Weatherby??

The main thing that gives gunsmiths fits with the MK V actions is lapping all 9 lugs for positive contact. It's time-consuming and can be a bit of a pain in the butt. So it can be costly. But some smiths enjoy doing it, and there's several good smiths here on the forum that you can contact.

As for barrels, don't go cheap. If you're going to rebarrel a rifle, put something better than what the factory offered. I would put a Bartlein barrel on there.

I turned a German Mark V into a 338 Edge from 270 Wby. Easy peasy.

First, Bartlein is a fine barrel, that is what is on my 338 Edge. Pac-Nor is my primary choice always.

Since it's already 30-378, you have lots of options for bigger cartridges.
30-378
338-378
375 Zane (goes by other names too)
375 MJOLNIR
338 Excalibur

Lots of fun options.

Thanks guys, thats what i assumed about barrels but thought i'd ask. Looking at a Brux fluted Remington Varmint contour or possibly the next size up finished at 26-27" long. I don't want to go to large on the barrel as i still want the gun to be manageable for carrying out west. Want something heavier then the current barrel to help with keeping it cooler when shooting. It will be a winter project to save for but wanted to get my ducks in a row. Will probably stick with the 30-378 too since i have the components already

Will probably stick with the 30-378 too since i have the components already
There is good logic in that. Rem Varmint contour 26 to 30 would be great.
338-378 it's awesome way longer barrel life .Get a 30 inch barrel and you have the best long range rifle made !
This is where I'm going rebarreling my 338-378. 30" Rem Var Bartlien 9.5 twist. :)

I converted a Mark V 300 Wby to 338 Lapua. I personally would never consider a 300-378. Barrel and case life are important to me. I considered the 338-378 for about a minute. Then I realized that to get decent case life out of Wby brass you have to load it down to Lapua levels and even then it doesn't compare to Lapua brass. So, if it were me, I'd consider a Lapua or a Lapua Improved instead of the 300-378 or the 338-378.

If you want absolutely top notch gunsmithing done on your Weatherby, get a hold of Shawn Menzenberg at Straight Shooter Supply. He is a vendor on LRH and his handle is Hired Gun.

I am re-barreling a MRK V Weatherby stainless 30-378 going with a PAC-NOR 30" custom palma 5 land and groove 10 twist. The reason for the 30" is I am getting a fire ball at the end with the factory 26" barrel. Because of the case capacity and slow powder my research shows that 30" is optimum. Will be using a NEAR brake. Have one on the current set up and can shoot it one handed from a rest very comfortably.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.