30-378 Weatherby

Like he said it depends on what you want to do with your bullet. The 357 sig is carried by some law enforcement because a neither a 45 nor a 40 will penetrate a laminated glass in a windshield but the 357 sig does. its like going back to what Roy Weatherby designed this round for originally. The military wanted to get a round over 5000 fps to see how it penetrated metal armour. the smaller faster bullet pierces windshields when the larger slower bullets won`t . the 9mm isn`t quite fast enough with its smaller grain bullet to do it.
This should be embarrassing.

The 9mm and .357 sig shoot the exact same bullets.

Your arguing with a group of guys that have put more rounds down range combined with almost every caliber and bullet combo known to man, and on any given week probably shoot more LR and pistol rounds than most people shoot in their lifetimes and have killed game on dam near every square inch of this planet.... then to top it off you bust out a factoid sheet of factory ammo data that in no way represents their cartridges fullest potential using factory ballistics and non LR based bullets as your argument, all the while not knowing that you absolutely proved yourself wrong by not actually reading the numbers that are even on their marketing sheet?

Just stop man! please

This should be embarrassing.

The 9mm and .357 sig shoot the exact same bullets.
They do have the same size bullet but the .357 sig has more velocity so it is capable of punching through. These statistics come from law enforcement. I have multiple friends in law enforcement.

That will rely greatly on bullet type and expansion characteristics. It all has to be taken into consideration. The kinetic energy has to be there to transfer it though. The Barnes bullets as well as the Accubond and some others have great energy transfer. I also want the flatter shooting for long range shots. Take a look at the 30-378 as well because it has set a lot of records for 1000 yard groups. This is a great all around round. Flat shooting, good groups, and lots of retained energy.
Actually, it has not been a popular cartridge at the 1000 yd benchrest matches. If you check, you will find that in the mid 80s Earl Chronister did set a record of roughly 3 3/4" for 10 shots at Williamsport using a (250 gr SMK), which preceded the 240 gr for a brief period. But I don't believe you will find any others set with that cartridge. We used WW2 surplus H570 powder, as did Earl with his record group, but we mostly used 200 gr SMKs for hunting. In guns having 36" barrels, with loads of 112 to 115 gr depending on the gun, 3500 fps wasent a problem. We could also use heavier charges of WC872 or H 870 to achieve those velocities also. The 200 gr is a flatter shooting bullet out to about 1500 yards than the heavier ones.
I could get there with my gun with 145/150 1/4 min clicks from a 100 yd zero depending on the day.
At 1700 there wasent much difference in clicks in my gun between the 200, the 220, and the 240 due to velocity differences, but the heavier ones were more accurate. 50 more clicks was needed for my gun at that distance, so you can easily see that the tank was empty.
But past 1500, make no mistake about it, a 300 gr 338 at 3200 or more is a different animal.
But also make no mistake that at least in PA during the deer season, you could lay on the roads leading to those type places with very little fear of being run over, and that might have something to do with talking and walking. lol
I don't know anybody at least well, who has ever killed a (buck) in PA at a mile, and for sure there are some who would very much like to.
Ive heard about a few doe being shot that far, but I wasent there to confirm that the one actually being targeted was in fact the same one that fell over.

Last edited:
Definitely a spirited discussion, and I hope everybody gets over it okay :), we are here as friends. Those of us who shoot 338 LM and the 30-378, and who keep an open mind, have a pretty good idea which one hits harder. But I think some us shoot the 30-378 simply because we like it.

http://www.weatherby.com/media/weatherby/ballistics.pdf This is the information I was using on their bullets. Maybe they just made these numbers up out of thin air. If so then I don`t have a clue what I`m saying but if so Weatherby is clueless as well. If that is the case then sorry for the misinformation.
Brother that is just factory loaded ammo and does not show the true potential for those cartridges. Yes maybe muzzle velocity but try running those numbers with some high BC bullets that can be used for long range hunting.
Weatherby, as with most manufacturers, is gonna load their ammo to make money. In other words- what will sell to the masses. Not to those like us that utilize their cartridges because they make an excellent platform to launch those high BC bullets at higher velocity to get that improved down (long) range performance. Most guys just look at the numbers up close, this site is for those that look at the numbers "out there".
As far as the .40 vs 9 vs .45....who gives a crap! A pistol is only worth fighting your way to a rifle!:D:D:D
How the heck did this thread even go there?!

morning, DO NOT ARGUE WITH EXPERINECE AND KNOWLEDGE.
when asking questions a person should not contradict the
answers of knowledgeable reloaders and shooters. it
shows disrespect. I for 1 like the 340wbee. read read read,
learn and obtain. that why I and others
learn from answers from this sites members. justme gbot tum

This is the answer for the 30x378. Long barrels and slow powder. 40 years ago they were the most sought after among PA long rangers, but good actions prevented them from being so. I used one on a Howard Wolfe custom action for over 25 years.
He wouldn't build one with less than a 36" barrel, and unless you used the powder he recommended.
He did also start building them on lapped Mark Vs.
WW2 surplus H570 was the best powder, with 112 gr showing about 3500 fps with a 200 gr SMK. 118 gr of H870 would do the same, as would WC872.
With that velocity, the 200 gr shoots flatter out to 1500 yds than the heavier ones. But frankly with todays choices of cartridges, I don't see much point to the 30x378.

Yobuck
I realize this is an older post but just came across it. I shot a Howard Wolfe 30/378 Hall G action 36 " Obermyer (sp?) bbl in one of Howard's large walnut stocks. Went through 3 Barrels and loved every minute of it!!! H870 got me to 3500+ with a 200 SMK Had it up to 117.0 also but really didn't need to. A real flat long range killer !! Agree with you on today's cartridges. Sold the rifle and all the assessories but will remember it forever!! IMO Howard was the BEST!!
Zeeman

Yobuck
I realize this is an older post but just came across it. I shot a Howard Wolfe 30/378 Hall G action 36 " Obermyer (sp?) bbl in one of Howard's large walnut stocks. Went through 3 Barrels and loved every minute of it!!! H870 got me to 3500+ with a 200 SMK Had it up to 117.0 also but really didn't need to. A real flat long range killer !! Agree with you on today's cartridges. Sold the rifle and all the assessories but will remember it forever!! IMO Howard was the BEST!!
Zeeman
Thanks for the kind words for Howard. He was for sure a class act who didn't receive the type respect he well deserved from some. He made a very large contribution to long range in its early days when it was very much needed. In hindsite, at least for him, he lived in the best of times.

Elkheart. Great rifle and a little ignored!

I had to get mine worked on. New trigger, stock, bedded, barrels, brake and then it grouped less than .5 MOA. Shot 6" groups at 1000yds with SMK 240. Used this also for elk. It did not like 210 Berger as much and I ve not tried 230 but on my next reloading plan. 94 gr Retumbo. I use 200 TSX for Africa plains. Instant drops!
I'm bumping last years topic up. I'm curious if you guys are trying the ELD-X and the A-Tips?

Ohh man, just read some of the last posts. I didnt mean to bump a controversial topic. I was just curious about the .30-378 loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.