Thing about the future 6.5-06AI

I would definitely go 6.5-280 AI. Simple neck down with Peterson 280 AI brass but could also use any 280 rem or 270 win brass necked down and fire formed with a false shoulder. Use a 280ai bushing die and a Hornady micrometer seater for a similar length cartridge as they're caliber not cartridge specific. 3100 with a 143 will be no problem. Probably get there pretty easy with a 156 as well. 1:7.5 Twist barrel for sure.

Oh ya and with those bullets and that neck length a .188 free bore reamer will be perfect and have you under 3.6" coal with the 156. Probably no need for CIP length mags but it wouldn't hurt for the peace of mind of never running out of Mag space.

I would definitely go 6.5-280 AI. Simple neck down with Peterson 280 AI brass but could also use any 280 rem or 270 win brass necked down and fire formed with a false shoulder. Use a 280ai bushing die and a Hornady micrometer seater for a similar length cartridge as they're caliber not cartridge specific. 3100 with a 143 will be no problem. Probably get there pretty easy with a 156 as well. 1:7.5 Twist barrel for sure.

I didn't realize Peterson is making 280ai brass!
That's an absolute no brainer
@nksmfamjp
This is the best advice anyone has given you yet.
Peterson brass is as good as it gets, and you won't have to fire form 🤮

I forgot about Peterson. The only question know is if the reamers that are out there will work with the Peterson brass I.E. neck thickness and .200 line dimensions. Or get your own made.
I dont know why some people think fireforming is such a big deal, my nephew shoots coyotes with his fireform loads out of his 6.5x06AI was surprised how accurate they are.

I'll tell you what....I've been looking at Quick Load and it makes 6.5x284 look real close. I may need to bump up to the 6.5x280AI.

Quick Load seems to be telling me with a 24" barrel that 140's shoot at 3100fps and 156's at like 3020fps. From my estimated 6.5-06AI vs 6.5x284.

My suggestion is if you do the 6.5x280AI is get ahold of some Peterson 280AI brass neck one down seat a bullet and see what it measures and compare to a reamer. Also do the same at the .200 line and try and find out what some who are shooting the 280AI with Peterson brass the measurements are and what dies are sizing down too.
Research before jumping in with both feet alot of times will be less headaches down the road, ask me how I know.
Alex's thread on the PRC die problems gives you a good idea when brass, die, reamers dont jive.

I know West Texas Ordinance chambers 6.5-280AI so you could check with them. PAC Nor also has a 6.5-280AI Reamer with no free bore. I called and asked awhile back and they said they would throat it to any bullet you send them. I have their print somewhere, I'll post it up later if I can find it.

I didn't realize Peterson is making 280ai brass!
That's an absolute no brainer
@nksmfamjp
This is the best advice anyone has given you yet.
Peterson brass is as good as it gets, and you won't have to fire form 🤮
Thanks for the kind words. I haven't shot my Peterson 280AI brass yet, but I can tell from measuring, weighing, and handling it that it is some really good stuff.

I know West Texas Ordinance chambers 6.5-280AI so you could check with them.
I rented there 6.5x280AI about 4 years ago for a 6.5x280AI if I remember right it had about .180 freebore which is about perfect.
Like I said earlier though I would check compatibility with brass, dies reamer before jumping in head first theres at that time were set up for Nosler brass.

So, I'm thinking about a future hunting rifle. It will have a CIP length bottom metal. (Bighorn Origin) long action.

Basically, I'm planning a build around 6.5-06AI. The idea is to launch 143 ELD-X around 3100 fps or the Berger 156 EOL's slightly slower from a 24" barrel.

First assumption, I'd like to use Lapua 30'06 and run it through a couple of bushings in a bushing die to get to 6.5-06 AI. I think the neck walls will be thick, but consistent....wonder how the thick necks will fit in the chamber?

Second, the velocity assumption above....can the 06 case do this or do I need to use the 280ai case. The Sherman is said to push 140's at 3300fps at 26". That's a bit fast to me.

Third, freebore to be set based on the boat tail being even with the base of the neck when touching lands with 143gr ELDX bullet....either with the reamer or with a custom throat.

Forth, I assume I can get Redding to make a type S FL die and a siding chamber micrometer seater...I'm not seeing that exactly in their catalog....hmmm.

Lots of assumptions....is this gonna work out?
I was planning to build a 6.5-06AI but my smith suggested I might want to consider a Sherman. Well I talked to Rich Sherman who I believe is Elkaholic on here of https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/about-ss-cartridges.
The guys was an absolute pleasure to talk to and called me within 5 minutes of me sending a text to his contact number from his website. His information convinced me to go with a 6.5 Sherman verses my original plan of a 6.5-06AI. Should be almost 200 fps faster with same barrel length do to greater case capacity. Dies seem to be much easier to get as well. You might want to give him a call and bend his ear a bit. He was a huge 6.5-06AI fan and that is why he built the 6.5 Sherman to improve on that.
Best of luck with your build.

I was planning to build a 6.5-06AI but my smith suggested I might want to consider a Sherman. Well I talked to Rich Sherman who I believe is Elkaholic on here of https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/about-ss-cartridges.
The guys was an absolute pleasure to talk to and called me within 5 minutes of me sending a text to his contact number from his website. His information convinced me to go with a 6.5 Sherman verses my original plan of a 6.5-06AI. Should be almost 200 fps faster with same barrel length do to greater case capacity. Dies seem to be much easier to get as well. You might want to give him a call and bend his ear a bit. He was a huge 6.5-06AI fan and that is why he built the 6.5 Sherman to improve on that.
Best of luck with your build.
I'm afraid to call Rich! That is how I ended up with this great 300 Sherman!

I'm sure you could be quite confused at this point Only thing I can say is that I made a wild cat 6.5x308 in 1994. All of my brass has been made from 308 necked down. Have never had to turn a case neck. My 6.5X06 brass made from 30-06 , which I have been shooting for years, I have never had to turn a neck. Only thing I check for is OAL. Both of these rifles exhibit excellent accuracy. A shooting friend of mine does the same with his 260 Rem. Turning necks has never been an issue .
My first custom calibers were 6,5/08 and 6.5/06 built in late 80's. Made the mistake of giving to Nephews who sold them because they didnt want to reload for them. Both are no longer recipiants of my largesse. Hands down the most accurate pair of rifles ever had built. Easy to resize any parent case brass for both calibers. NO NECK TURN NECESSARY.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.