6.5 sherman or 6.5-06ai

Bw34

I'm starting my first build. I have a Savage 111 action. I finally narrowed my search to the 6.5 Sherman or the 6.5-06ai. I've read a ton this weekend including that one 55 page thread:).

Does anyone know the price difference to get setup (barrel, go gauge, dies, etc.) to shot these 2?

Is one more difficult to load for?

I was looking at the same and decided to get the most out of it and go with the 6.5 Sherman. It's been a fun round to mess with. I've only shot forming loads so far, but they've been very accurate and I'm excited to see what it'll do with formed cases.

Forming cases hasn't been a hassle at all - neck down 280 cases and leave a false shoulder with a nice crush fit and fire away. I'd probably go the cream of wheat route, but I have a brake on my rifle and don't want to mess with it.

Go with the Sherman, you won't regret it.

I am going the 6.5 Sherman route. Anyone that has one and does the CoW fireforming method with a brake on? Please chime in and let me know if it is much of a hassle to do it that way. I was going to go 6.5x284 but the Sherman seems like a better choice.

I had the same issue a few years ago. I went with the 6.5 Sherman and haven't looked back. The Sherman is a little hotter than the 6.5-06AI, I think in the 5% range. You are going to be fireforming anyway, you mite as well get better performance. Send Rich Sherman, Elkoholic, and pm and he will help you out.

Jay

The Sherman is my plan "A". Sounds like it is everything I'm looking for. I'm wondering how much more it will cost to get setup for the Sherman.

Has anyone had a Savage barrel made in a 6.5 Sherman?

Rich will rent the reamer to you. The dies are a little more than 6.5-06ai dies but they are Whidden dies and top notch. My 270 is going to get this treatment after hunting season. Pm Rich, he is a pleasure to talk to and very helpful and knowledgeable.

Had a good talk today with Rich. Now I just need to decide on a barrel. Any recommendations for a Savage?

Had a good talk today with Rich. Now I just need to decide on a barrel. Any recommendations for a Savage?

Bartlein is my favorite, but if you want rigid and light for packing or hiking, I'd drop the dough on a 26" 1:8 Sendero Proof Research carbon fiber barrel.

I went with a Bartlein Light Palma that was finished at 26" and has 6 deep flutes. It balances the rifle well and shoots pretty dang well with forming loads. I was between the Light Palma and 3b contour in the Bartlein lineup.

You're going to find that most of the barrel brands run around $300 - $350. I got mine from Butch's Reloading for $340 shipped if I remember correctly. You can't go wrong with Bartlein, Brux, Kreiger, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.