There’s something about a .308 Win and 168 SMKs

Yes. A lot of various rifle matches have been won and records set with a good 308 and 168SMK's. Even with the match M1A's we used many years back, many great groups were fired on the 600yd prone. Many great things happened with 155gr Palma bullets/loads at 800-1,000 also.

I have one 308 in 26" heavy varmint that shoots the 155's so well, you can routinely take P-dogs with it at 600yds. But when the range really gets long, the 175's start to dominate.

A lot of people ignore a good 308 for cartridges that burn much more powder and get more speed, but a good 308 is very efficient, typically easy to load for good accuracy, easy on the recoil and isn't overly finicky.

Thanks. I am working on a load with 165 grain SGK's. The barrel has had less than 50 rounds down the barrel so far. After the brass is shot once, I seem to have better groups. So far it's shooting just under MOA at 100 yards with 43 to 45 grains of Varget. I hope it shoots as good as yours after break in.
I tried the tipped game kings and they didn't work in my rifle with varget. Perhaps with a different powder they would work for me.

The 169 SMK work almost as good as the 168s but not quite. I'd buy more of them if I could find them anywhere.

Absolutely couldn't group anything with the 168 ABLR. I think the 1:11 twist isn't the best for the longer bullets.

I have shot 168 SMK's, 175 SMK's, 168 TMK's and 175 TMK's to good effect with in all of my bolt rifles, using Varget, IMR 4064, IMR 4895, and H 4895. I shoot moderate loads, mostly all for 600 yard shooting, but stretch to 800 at times. I've used all of these in different powder charges and COL for High Power and F Class, plus just ringing steel. All very well known loads that should shoot well in most rifles.

My 308's shoot best with 168 and 175 SMK as well...

I love seeing those factory 308's shoot so well. My Rem Police and LTR shoot can shoot outstanding groups with 168 and 175 SMK's.
Me and a buddy took factory rifles to an F/TR match to wring them out.
I brought a factory Rem 700 Police 24" 5R 11.25 twist shooting 168 A-Max (ran short of SMK) and he brought his Tikka CTR 20" shooting 178 ELD's.
Sure took some smiles off a few dudes when that old Rem Police had the second highest score after the first relay.
The warm temps got to some barrel heat stringing by the last relay... but both rifles had respectable finishes and were much closer to the top than everyone anticipated.

Last edited:
I have a Model 700 LTR that I had skim bedded and trigger work done and I mounted an NXS 5,5-22x56 scope on and it shoots 168SMKs so accurately that it's hard to believe. I once shot an 10 shot group under .3" at 100yds with it and have shot several 3 and 5 shot groups under .2". At 200 and 300yds it will astound you too. Somewhere around here I have a target that I shot a 3 shot 1.5" group at 300yds on a windy/rainy day. That's the longest ranges my gun club has.

Varget is my go to powder for it and I don't push the envelope on speed. The Federal GMM ammo with the 168SMK projectiles shoots better than any factory ammo I've ever shot in any rifle.

I wonder just how well that rifle would shoot in the hands of a real sho nuff good competition shooter. I'm good but I'm certain there are lots of people that can outshoot me.

In my opinion Sierra Match King bullets are simply so accurate and easy to load for that they're a gift to shooters. It's sad that they're so hard to get but then I guess most of us have learned to stock up with they're available.

In my opinion Sierra Match King bullets are simply so accurate and easy to load for that they're a gift to shooters. It's sad that they're so hard to get but then I guess most of us have learned to stock up with they're available.
I've had no trouble finding the 168s. The 169s on the other hand are no where to be found.

I've also seen the 175s in local stores.

I have not seen any tipped matchkings anywhere local. I have seen them online, but overpriced.