theading a sporter barrel?

onebullet97

I had a shoulder injury a couple of monthe ago and can no longer shoot my favorite rifle. It is a 7mm with a sporter barrel measuring .58. Is this enough barrel to get threaded for a muzzle break? Thanks

Actually, 1/2-32 is a standard muzzle brake thread size and is safe to use on up to .30 caliber. Your brake will be more effective if it is made a larger diameter and not turned down to match the barrel. It is also important to not over tighten your brake because it can constrict the bore and destroy accuracy.

It is probably not enough .

Look under the last FAQ on this site.

www.jecustom.com - FAQ's

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

The reason I said PROBABLY NOT is.

A 1/2"x 32 TPI has a minor thread diameter of .406.
The bore is .284
The difference is .1762 Divided by two, leaves the barrel wall At .088.
The recommended MINIMUM wall thickness is .150
With 1/2'' 32 TPI threads you have almost half the recommended wall thickness.

The .223 is below the .150 with the 1/2''x 32 TPI (.118 and relies on the muzzle brake for some of its safety margin) and would be marginal but it is the standard threads for them.

A 308 would have a wall thickness of .076 if a 1/2'' x 32 TPI were used. the standard thread size for the .308 is 5/8 x 24 leaving a wall thickness of just over .150.

Just because people do something, does not make it safe.

Think about a barrel with a wall thickness of just over 1/16 thick.

J E CUSTOM

The reason I said PROBABLY NOT is.

A 1/2"x 32 TPI has a minor thread diameter of .406.
J E CUSTOM

J E: I am not by any means trying to flame your judgment. I have looked over your website and I can see that you do some nice work. Your Brake design would be one of the more effective ones out there just based on the physics of it.

I know you meant to say a minor diameter of .460 as you calculation ends up with the correct number. Still, a quick review of the Brownells catalog turns up a variety of brakes with 1/2-32 and 1/2-28 threads in up to .30 caliber. Lynwood Harrell even makes them in 7/16-32 (Presumably for up to .22 caliber.

Your safety margin of .150 might be appropriate for very large brakes and is certainly not a bad thing. The Industry standard (of 1/2-28 for up to .30 caliber) has been in use for a very long time, and I just think it has been proven to be perfectly adequate for the smaller brakes that it is normally used with.

A wall thickness of just over 1/16 of an inch AT THE MUZZLE does not worry me at all.

I had a shoulder injury a couple of monthe ago and can no longer shoot my favorite rifle. It is a 7mm with a sporter barrel measuring .58. Is this enough barrel to get threaded for a muzzle break? Thanks

I would not. As stated earlier, just because you can buy the brake doesn't mean you should. Light brakes with small outside diameters are much more inefficient than larger brakes. Also attaching any brake to that light barrel can significantly affect how your rifle shoots and will require working up another load at the very minimum.

Might be you have a good excuse to get a custom barrel.:) A heavier barrel with a brake would soak up more recoil than a brake alone with the additional benefit of less muzzle jump.

jm2c

J E: I am not by any means trying to flame your judgment. I have looked over your website and I can see that you do some nice work. Your Brake design would be one of the more effective ones out there just based on the physics of it.

I know you meant to say a minor diameter of .460 as you calculation ends up with the correct number. Still, a quick review of the Brownells catalog turns up a variety of brakes with 1/2-32 and 1/2-28 threads in up to .30 caliber. Lynwood Harrell even makes them in 7/16-32 (Presumably for up to .22 caliber.

Your safety margin of .150 might be appropriate for very large brakes and is certainly not a bad thing. The Industry standard (of 1/2-28 for up to .30 caliber) has been in use for a very long time, and I just think it has been proven to be perfectly adequate for the smaller brakes that it is normally used with.

A wall thickness of just over 1/16 of an inch AT THE MUZZLE does not worry me at all.

Don't worry about it. I don't take offense to someone that disagrees with me, Because I surely
don't claim to know everything.

This question had came up many times so instead of going on hearsay or past practice, I decided
to do lots of research and find a definitive answer for barrel thickness requirements.

What I found was that Barrel makers will not flute a barrel that has less than .140 thousandths
wall from the bottom of the flute to the bore, there engineers were adamant about not going below the .140 to .150 thickness for safety.

The old philosophe was that the brake added some strength to the barrel tenon as long as the threads were in 100% contact. we all know this is next to impossible and cant be depended on.

The fact that it has been done doesn't make it safe and with the higher pressure cartridges a lot of manufactures are changing to the stronger Thread and tenon sizes. (Pressures in the past were normally 47,000 psi to 55,000 psi. Now pressures of 65,000 to 67,000 are common on the newer cartridges, so the "OLD" rules and practices need to be amended for safety.

If you have ever seen a barrel split or a brake shot off a rifle you will under stand the need for improvement.

All I can do is warn People of the impending danger if some practices are used. If they decide to
continue taking risk doing something marginally dangerous that is their call.

A firearm is inherently dangerous by the nature of It and every precaution should be taken when modifying one to go beyond the normal design and practice (Especially if one is not a gun smith
and has limited experience with firearms).

On an earlier post I read where if you tighten the brake to much It would reduce the bore diameter effecting accuracy. A Brake should not be able to reduce the barrel diameter at all If the thread tenon is the correct size.

I don't consider my self a "Master Gunsmith" by any means, so I ask questions that I am not sure about from some of the guys on this site that we are fortunate enough to have that are Master Gunsmiths and will keep us out of trouble.

The only dumb question is the one not ask.

Sorry about the rant, but I see a trend of do it your self people that think there is nothing to
working on guns and don't realize the potential for disaster. You don't have to use one for many things, but for the pressure parts at least get there input before stepping off into some that potentially could hurt you or someone else.

J E CUSTOM

I don't want a 1/16" thick muzzle on anything I own. I recently bought a brake with 11/16" threads for a 30 caliber barrel. The reason I got an 11/16" thread was because I didn't see a 3/4" listed as available.

I don't want a 1/16" thick muzzle on anything I own. I recently bought a brake with 11/16" threads for a 30 caliber barrel. The reason I got an 11/16" thread was because I didn't see a 3/4" listed as available.

I just want to be clear. I personally hate brakes on hunting rifles due to the increased noise and blast especially when I am in the position of guide or spotter. There are plenty of valid objections to using small brakes on light diameter barrels but safety is not one of them. If safety was in fact a valid concern, than many thousands of unsafe rifles are in use all over the world with brakes installed by gunsmiths and OEMs with 1/2' threads. It is not a safety issue period!

The OP would probably be better served to have a larger barrel installed as several here have recommended, but if he desires to install a brake on his .580 diameter barrel there is no legitimate safety reason that he can't, plenty of suitable brakes on the market, and plenty of very well qualified gunsmiths perfectly willing to do it.

I just want to be clear. I personally hate brakes on hunting rifles due to the increased noise and blast especially when I am in the position of guide or spotter. There are plenty of valid objections to using small brakes on light diameter barrels but safety is not one of them. If safety was in fact a valid concern, than many thousands of unsafe rifles are in use all over the world with brakes installed by gunsmiths and OEMs with 1/2' threads. It is not a safety issue period!

Not tying to start an argument, But I have a question.

Is your statement based of facts, or opinions about the safety issue. Like you I use to hate brakes
and did not use them at all for many reasons so after many years of shooting have changed my opinion in many things. (I found that Many of my opinions were just that, MY OPINION).

Every barrel failure that I have seen that was not caused by an object in the barrel Was a very
light weight barrel and the failure occurred in the groves where the barrel was the thinnest.

The brake failures have all been small tenon's with poor fitting threads and insufficient wall
thickness. Most things related to firearm safety have a 50% safety factor. So why should a muzzle brake install be any less important.

Of the thousands of rifles with small tenon threads and thin barrel walls How many are near failure
every time they are fired. Why some fail and others survive is a mystery and I will place my faith
in the designers that tell me a minimum wall of .140 to .150 is required.

You will never see a thin wall pipe in 15,000 to 20,000 pound service so why would a rifle barrel
with the potential of exceeding this be less important.

I am Like Edd, If I install a brake I will always use the biggest thread dia. that the barrel can use
(WHY NOT). But if it goes below the minimum wall recommended, I decline to do it.

Based on experience not opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Not tying to start an argument, But I have a question.

Is your statement based of facts, or opinions about the safety issue. Like you I use to hate brakes
and did not use them at all for many reasons so after many years of shooting have changed my opinion in many things. (I found that Many of my opinions were just that, MY OPINION).

Every barrel failure that I have seen that was not caused by an object in the barrel Was a very
light weight barrel and the failure occurred in the groves where the barrel was the thinnest.

The brake failures have all been small tenon's with poor fitting threads and insufficient wall
thickness. Most things related to firearm safety have a 50% safety factor. So why should a muzzle brake install be any less important.

Of the thousands of rifles with small tenon threads and thin barrel walls How many are near failure
every time they are fired. Why some fail and others survive is a mystery and I will place my faith
in the designers that tell me a minimum wall of .140 to .150 is required.

You will never see a thin wall pipe in 15,000 to 20,000 pound service so why would a rifle barrel
with the potential of exceeding this be less important.

I am Like Edd, If I install a brake I will always use the biggest thread dia. that the barrel can use
(WHY NOT). But if it goes below the minimum wall recommended, I decline to do it.

Based on experience not opinion.

J E CUSTOM
+1 Why tempt Murphy?

I personally hate brakes on hunting rifles due to the increased noise and blast especially when I am in the position of guide or spotter.

Maybe this illustrations helps ...

size0-armymil-55095-2009-11-04-151110_zps21530f8f.jpg

450x338_q75_zps47499f40.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts