Inletting Sporter Stock for Heavier barrel

tunacan

Has anyone here ever inletted a sporter stock to fit a Remington Sendero contour?

I have a Bell & Carlson Alaskan II Medalist. I like the feel on the sporter stock vs the varmint stock. This stock has the aluminum bedding block as well.

I have a barrel on order in the Rem Sendero contour and I want to use this stock.

There is enought stock to inlet, but there wont be a ton meat left.

Left me know what you think.

I did this with a Boyd's laminate sporter stock. My advice is don't waste your time. There was "enough" left but to really float the barrel it meant taking a ton out, more than it looks like before you start. It worked but I never liked the finished product.

Skip forward 18 months and I'm waiting for the Manners stock I should have bought in the first place to arrive.

I've got a LA Rem Classic opened to a sendero contour and it doesn't look too bad and really handles nicer than a varmint stock in my opinion. The stock is for sale in the classifieds cause a disability prevents me from shooting a rifle accurately or safely fo that matter. If your interested in how one might look shoot me an e-mail and I'll try to get you a pic.

Brute

I've done a Medalist and HS Precision and they both worked fine. It is an aesthetics issue depending on how you want your rifle to look. If the style of stock fits you then it works. Even McMillan says you can open some of theirs to a #5.

duckhunter175,

Do you have any picture of the medalist? I am looking to do this to my 7mm rem long range to save some $ without loosing to much.

Austin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.