The Theoretical Masterpiece build

Using this criteria the only possible calibre is .375.

Point will be shooting as accurately as possible at ranges from 1k-3k+

If you can shoot a 338 that far you will scare yourself & everyone around you with your performance with a 375 lightbulb

Cartridge- Definitely one of the .375 CT imps
Scope - NF ATACR SFP for elevation, the new ED glass will be awesome
Mounts custom 50-60 moa
Rings - Spur
Action - Single shot Custom, BAT, Stiller, Barnard, etc
Barrel - Gain twist Bartlein, 7-7.5 exit twist
Stock - Chassis XLR etc
Bullet - My CEB 425/427, 450/452
Powder - RL 50
Brake - T5 Terminator
Bipod - Notched Harris 6-9 or similar
Sling - Eberlestock gunslinger or similar pack

With some tuning etc that rig will shoot consistently well past 3K no problem, 1-2 K becomes a chip shot. :cool:

425-450 grain projectiles @ 3100-3200 fps with BCs over 1 take a lot of beating lightbulb

Yea I was leaning towards the .375 with its insane BC, i figured the velocity it holds would keep it steadier subsonic, especially in the grain's you have listed there.

That build looks scary.
I was also wandering about SPUR mount. Is it because of its single piece that you choose it over rings? More steady/reliable in high recoil systems?

You must remember there is a big world outside Youtube with some guys shooting a real long ways but don't broadcast it.

Oh don't worry I know (like many other things as well not just shooting ;D ).

However as for just recorded proof (as silly proof as it may be with cuts and scene changes), this is the furthest recorded shot that I have found to date.

Interesting guy to if you do some research on the shooter.

Yea I was leaning towards the .375 with its insane BC, i figured the velocity it holds would keep it steadier subsonic, especially in the grain's you have listed there.

That build looks scary.
I was also wandering about SPUR mount. Is it because of its single piece that you choose it over rings? More steady/reliable in high recoil systems?

The Spur mount is a very nice bit of kit, extremely well made & with 20.6 moa cant in its very help full to get the elevation required.

I'm having a very hard time convincing myself to go with a Cheytac case, I have not seen anyone shoot one to the level of accuracy as I've seen the Lapua based cases pull out. I've seen the lapua case put down sub 1/2 moa groups at 2600 yards, not just nicking a target but printing groups, course conditions are everything.
I'm really looking for a reason to build a precision 375 Cheytac, been really watching how Darrel Buell is setting up for the 4000 yards shooting, with his precision shooting back ground he'll bring some new tools to the ELR.

I've seen the lapua case put down sub 1/2 moa groups at 2600 yards, not just nicking a target but printing groups, course conditions are everything.

Yes conditions are everything at ELR.

Our topography is such our very best conditions are pretty average compared to other countries.

Way too many hills & the sea is never that far away....

I'm having a very hard time convincing myself to go with a Cheytac case, I have not seen anyone shoot one to the level of accuracy as I've seen the Lapua based cases pull out. I've seen the lapua case put down sub 1/2 moa groups at 2600 yards, not just nicking a target but printing groups, course conditions are everything.
I'm really looking for a reason to build a precision 375 Cheytac, been really watching how Darrel Buell is setting up for the 4000 yards shooting, with his precision shooting back ground he'll bring some new tools to the ELR.

Yea I saw the event they held over facebook, very interesting.

IDK when I look at the cartridge from a strictly ballistic standpoint .375 seems to hold the upper hand.

I would say its more likely we have more population with the lapua and that's why we see more recorded groups, but I could be wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.