The Switch Barrel R700 Questions

hseII

Hello,
I believe I want a switch barrel.

I have a R700LH in .308 Winchester with a 1/10 barrel that's too Heavy. I'd like the new .308 Win barrel to be just heavy enough to run my Supressor, & 22" long.
It has a PTG 1 piece Bolt.
It has a Timney Trigger.
It is sitting in a McMillan Stock, although the bed job leaves much to be desired.

Id like someone to go thru this gun from 1 end to the other, & get it right.

I have a hawk hill .260 barrel that will be coming off my other SA build that I would like on this action.

Please recommend a reputable Smith the will fix this rifle & turn it into a switch barrel unless you all talk me out of it.

If only 1 caliber, it will be the .260 Remington.

Thank You.

I think there are some issues with your desires. The first one is your barrel. Using a threaded barrel from another action is usually not a good idea. Another issue is your recoil lug. I don't think an action with a separate recoil lug is a good candidate for a switch barrel rifle.

The model 700 Remington will work fine as a switch barrel. The recoil lug needs to be pinned to the action.You will need a barrel vise and an action wrench. It is more convenient to have the barrel channel enlarged so that you can change barrels without removing scope or stock. My barrel vise is attached to a piece of 2 inch square tubing so that I can slide it into the receiver hitch on my truck. I have seven rifles fixed this way. I have barrels for 7STW, .300 RUM, and .338 EDGE. In your case it would be simple to use .308, 7-08, .260, .243, etc. The used barrels can probably me made to work, but may not be cost effective. Whidden Gunworks did the work. Gary

The model 700 Remington will work fine as a switch barrel. The recoil lug needs to be pinned to the action.You will need a barrel vise and an action wrench. It is more convenient to have the barrel channel enlarged so that you can change barrels without removing scope or stock. My barrel vise is attached to a piece of 2 inch square tubing so that I can slide it into the receiver hitch on my truck. I have seven rifles fixed this way. I have barrels for 7STW, .300 RUM, and .338 EDGE. In your case it would be simple to use .308, 7-08, .260, .243, etc. The used barrels can probably me made to work, but may not be cost effective. Whidden Gunworks did the work. Gary
This is the Information I was looking for: Bonus points for being a Georgia Business.

The guy you referenced is the gunsmith who has built my last three customs. He can answer all your questions about his switch barrel setup. Clayton Smith @ West Texas Ordnance. His work is excellent.
I checked out one he had just finished, along with some targets. Pretty cool and an easy switch.

Thank You.

I think there are some issues with your desires. The first one is your barrel. Using a threaded barrel from another action is usually not a good idea. Another issue is your recoil lug. I don't think an action with a separate recoil lug is a good candidate for a switch barrel rifle.

You do know how gunsmithing works right? There's this fancy "new" tool called a lathe...And you can chuck any long skinny piece of metal into it, and with the right tooling, measuring, and know-how, you can shape it anyway you want, and even thread it to make it fit anything, as long as the piece you're starting with is larger than the goal diameter. :cool:

His 700 will make for a great switch-barrel. You pin the recoil lug to the action in atleast 2 places, and you use the same lug for both barrels. He just has to ensure that both of his barrels get headspaced by the same smith to the same lug and action. Once that happens, he should have no problems, as long as he applies equal torque to the action when swapping the barrels to ensure no slack in the headspacing.

You do know how gunsmithing works right? There's this fancy "new" tool called a lathe...And you can chuck any long skinny piece of metal into it, and with the right tooling, measuring, and know-how, you can shape it anyway you want, and even thread it to make it fit anything, as long as the piece you're starting with is larger than the goal diameter. :cool:

His 700 will make for a great switch-barrel. You pin the recoil lug to the action in atleast 2 places, and you use the same lug for both barrels. He just has to ensure that both of his barrels get headspaced by the same smith to the same lug and action. Once that happens, he should have no problems, as long as he applies equal torque to the action when swapping the barrels to ensure no slack in the headspacing.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing .

You're so clever, you found something to argue about but had to include a disclaimer then threw in some incorrect information. And after all that, I still think it is a poor setup for a switch barrel.

I think you will find that more Rem 700's were made into switch barrels than any other action some time back and only now eclipsed by some custom BR actions , we are talking switch not quick change barrels . So they do work just fine as will fix lug actions .

OP,

Regardless of action, are you planning to equip yourself (DIY) to do the barrel switch yourself or have a gunsmith do it each time?

"MY" idea of switch barrel is DIY, but that's just me. :):Dgun)

Good luck on your project and have fun with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.