Switch Barrel questions

MSU Marksman

When setting up a gun to be a switch barrel rig, is there anything that is done differently than during a regular build? I'm refering to non-Savage guns. Specifically, if I were to have a custom rig built how hard would it be to make it into a switch barrel rig later down the road?

There is several things you can do it. Most use a vise with a barrel clamp and a action wrench with a torque wrench. You can also run them hand tight but you must be extra careful if you do and they need to be setup slightly different for each way. The headspace is gonna change a small amount when you torque the barrel on compared to one thats not.

bobby

I think a pinned recoil lug is the most important thing,even so most good smiths do this anyway

Agreed, the pinned recoil lug is needed. I have a Rem 700 with several competition barrels. I change them myself using my barrel vise and action wrench. It is important to draw the barrel up tightly to get the same headspace each time you change. About 30 ft. lbs. is needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.