The Swede

Thanks to all of you for taking your time to reply and share your knowledge about this cartridge. This will be my first Swede and I know I have a lot to learn.

Cdherman,
I don't have access to QL yet, but it's in the works. I've read a lot about it and think it would help me a lot again thanks for the info.

Wildrose
It's a savage model 111 it was originally a 300 win mag.

Feenix
Thanks, I honestly don't know why I didn't think of that.

Again thanks to all for the information.

In a modern designed action, using Lapua brass and a barrel that is designed to shoot cartridges that have pressures up to 65K such as 270 Win , 25-06, I would have no worries running the 6.5x55 up to the Creedmoor pressures 63K. Just don't put it in an old questionable action. 3000 fps with RL26 behind 140 gr bullets is well within reason, add HBN coating and depending on how long you can load them should be able to hit a bit over 3000 fps.

He said it was a Savage.

I built one on a M48 intermediate length Mauser action. The manufacture date on mine is as new as 1956 to 1965 so I have loaded it pretty heavy. I still need to get a stock done for it. The one I've been using is shared with another rifle. So I have not shot since I did the head space and barrel break in.

I'm think I'm going to build one on a Savage action for long range work...
Ahh, I missed it. No worries about pressure then.

They make a ackley improved reamer , on the Swede. Lapp cheapest brass is the 6.5 swede. Your cases will last longer/ redding offers dies

Mine is built on a post-64 Model 70 w/ a 22" Pac-nor barrel. Using IMR4350 and Lapua 142gr ABLR my accuracy load is right at 2800 fps. I pushed it faster but accuracy went to crap.
My best group with it to date is a 5 shot group @ .33" @ 100 from a bench.

They make a ackley improved reamer , on the Swede. Lapp cheapest brass is the 6.5 swede. Your cases will last longer/ redding offers dies
Man an Ackley Swede sounds like an awesome option.
Really curious what sort of velocity guys are getting.
You'd think more guys would be going this route over the 260ai

Bowfishn
Thanks for the input. I do have a question about the Lapua brass that maybe you can answer. For what I understand the Lapua brass has a case head of .480. Would you happen to know if that's true? I have no Lapua to measure.

Jdd
Thanks for the information on the AI version. If it doesn't achieve what I'd like to see from it that will probably be my next step.

Bbear
I'd like to see 2900 with 140 Bergers hopefully it's possible. If mine shoots as good as your I'd be tickled.

Again thanks for the help

I actually found some of the warmest 6.5 swede loads in a 80's edition of the speer manual. They make the loads in the new Nosler manual for modern rifles look wimpy. The loads In that Speer manual were supposed to be safe in 96 and 38 actions. I used them in my 96 no problems. The swede seems to be a very undeloaded gun in all modern manuals and I believe its case has more capacity then the 308.
My gun actually shot light 120gr bullets better then the 140's don't know why. That old 96 put 6 Sierra MK's into a half inch at 100ys. Then I did something stupid and sold it and bought a new Winchester Feather wieght and have not shot a good group since.
The 6.5 swedeAI sounds very interesting I may have to look into it ome more..

Bowfishn
Thanks for the input. I do have a question about the Lapua brass that maybe you can answer. For what I understand the Lapua brass has a case head of .480. Would you happen to know if that's true? I have no Lapua to measure.

Jdd
Thanks for the information on the AI version. If it doesn't achieve what I'd like to see from it that will probably be my next step.

Bbear
I'd like to see 2900 with 140 Bergers hopefully it's possible. If mine shoots as good as your I'd be tickled.

Again thanks for the help
I don t have any unfired. I been playing with the 6.5x280ai, I am getting 3075 at 58 grs of rl26 ;Then I .oaded 59 and 60 of rl 26, started showing pressure at 60. I popped a primer at 61. chrno was left on the sofa so not sure about speed with plenty of case capacity with the nosler brass. If I could find a 6.5 swede in tikka with a 24 or 25 " barrel I would get a pull through 6..5 x55 ai reamer and go town better brass,cheaper just a little less fps than the 6.5 3006ai or the 6.5x280ai

I don t have any unfired. I been playing with the 6.5x280ai, I am getting 3075 at 58 grs of rl26 ;Then I .oaded 59 and 60 of rl 26, started showing pressure at 60. I popped a primer at 61. chrno was left on the sofa so not sure about speed with plenty of case capacity with the nosler brass. If I could find a 6.5 swede in tikka with a 24 or 25 " barrel I would get a pull through 6..5 x55 ai reamer and go town better brass,cheaper just a little less fps than the 6.5 3006ai or the 6.5x280ai[/QUOte
Tikka makes a t3 in 6.5 creedmoore with a 24" barrel, should be easy to ream it out to 6.5x55ai

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts