The state of the fight in NY

Who is DHS ? I kind of feel like in my gut that the Government is buying it up just to keep it out of our hands. just my op.

DHS is Depatrment of Homeland Security btw. You know FEMA and all those alaphbet agencies created to do nothing but suck up money in reality. The central government is so mismanaged but it's all good. They print more FRN's to cover the poor expenditures.

You guys, for all your skill and time make much less than I do, not that I don't have experience, skills and accrediations (degrees).

I make 30 bucks an hour in a non-union enviroment with full benefits, 12 paid holidays vacation and long term and short term disability insurance, plus I took all my pension funds from the same company when I retired and invested them with a private concern. I lost a bit during the debacle a couple years back, about 15% but I've regained that and more.

I pay nothing in union dues, don't have to watch non productive employees play the union grievance sytem, in fact, I'm in asset mamagement so I have some control over who is productive and who is a slacker. I document and turn in reports to management and they do the dirty work. I like it that way....

I'm in a very small local, less than 300 members. We and I cannot speak for other locals don't have lazy members, we cannot afford them! 4 year apprenticeship if your lazy you will not get your book I have seen it 15 plus times, we also have a 1 year assessment period for non union guys, before we allow them to buy in. I'm not a Union whore or anything but my local is good, so I see the union in a different light. I have heard about and seen the things you talk about in other trades but in my local you will not work if you cant show up, or you do not honor you oath every day.

DHS is Depatrment of Homeland Security btw. You know FEMA and all those alaphbet agencies created to do nothing but suck up money in reality. The central government is so mismanaged but it's all good. They print more FRN's to cover the poor expenditures.

You guys, for all your skill and time make much less than I do, not that I don't have experience, skills and accrediations (degrees).

I make 30 bucks an hour in a non-union enviroment with full benefits, 12 paid holidays vacation and long term and short term disability insurance, plus I took all my pension funds from the same company when I retired and invested them with a private concern. I lost a bit during the debacle a couple years back, about 15% but I've regained that and more.

I pay nothing in union dues, don't have to watch non productive employees play the union grievance sytem, in fact, I'm in asset mamagement so I have some control over who is productive and who is a slacker. I document and turn in reports to management and they do the dirty work. I like it that way....

I saw FEMA first hand while working in hurricane katrina. FEMA wastes money matter of fact any Government job that I've been around wasted money , for instance my boss comes to me and says I want you guys to tear down these walls and build back some new walls . So we tare em down build back new (metal studs ) and hang sheet rock , finishers come in and and prep em then the painters and they are done . Right wrong . We are told that all of the work we are doing will be demoed and a completely new building will be erected in its place. So you have all of these man hours wasted . In reality if this was your oney we would be starving you to death with no profit but this is BIG GOV's money and his pockets are deeper than hours and thus our economy is going to potts because of this kind of missmanagment. I work at a NUC plant. We are going around and installing flatt screen TV's all over the place one room they payed 31,000 dollars for 3 TV's :rolleyes: And several more thousands spent on other TV's . I could really make you guys laugh or get sick at some of the dumb stuff that goes on.

ICANHITHIMMAN, just want to clarify that not all Union workers are lazy My boss and I used to work together Roofing (Shingle Tearoffs) most folks dont want to do that . We do have alote of lazy's in my craft .

I saw FEMA first hand while working in hurricane katrina. FEMA wastes money matter of fact any Government job that I've been around wasted money , for instance my boss comes to me and says I want you guys to tear down these walls and build back some new walls . So we tare em down build back new (metal studs ) and hang sheet rock , finishers come in and and prep em then the painters and they are done . Right wrong . We are told that all of the work we are doing will be demoed and a completely new building will be erected in its place. So you have all of these man hours wasted . In reality if this was your oney we would be starving you to death with no profit but this is BIG GOV's money and his pockets are deeper than hours and thus our economy is going to potts because of this kind of missmanagment. I work at a NUC plant. We are going around and installing flatt screen TV's all over the place one room they payed 31,000 dollars for 3 TV's :rolleyes: And several more thousands spent on other TV's . I could really make you guys laugh or get sick at some of the dumb stuff that goes on.

ICANHITHIMMAN, just want to clarify that not all Union workers are lazy My boss and I used to work together Roofing (Shingle Tearoffs) most folks dont want to do that . We do have alote of lazy's in my craft .

Have you ever heard of or been to serve mart?

I'm in a very small local, less than 300 members. We and I cannot speak for other locals don't have lazy members, we cannot afford them! 4 year apprenticeship if your lazy you will not get your book I have seen it 15 plus times, we also have a 1 year assessment period for non union guys, before we allow them to buy in. I'm not a Union whore or anything but my local is good, so I see the union in a different light. I have heard about and seen the things you talk about in other trades but in my local you will not work if you cant show up, or you do not honor you oath every day.

I'm a disabled Iron Worker after 30years of doing it. No way in hell no one can remotely lump Iron Workers into a bunch of slackers, or relate them to being in any way like a teamster. I can testify that would be pure ********..!!! Most men could not make a pimple on a Iron Workers *** as far as work goes or even remotely have a clue of how to do all that is required of a Journeyman Iron Worker, or have the balls to do it..!!

I agree there are better jobs and better paying jobs, we all do what ever to make a living for our families. Whether you are union or not, or management it does not matter. If you are lucky enough to land a good job or have a degree and a well paying job, or own your own business "God bless you." I am happy for you. but never lump everyone in the same boat. Each person rich or poor that goes in everyday and puts in a good days work can come home knowing he is as good a person as the highest paid person any where.

ICANHITHIMAN, The retirement was $40 per credit when I had to take disability so that may give you an idea I'm no spring chicken. I will add this, no one is going to have a job Iron Working anywhere unless he is a good worker. A journeyman Iron Worker is a person very skilled in many things and does a very hard job and needs to back up to no one for his check.

An old Iron Worker told me when I first started Iron Working when I questioned us being able to do something, he said 2 words you need to forget. "Can't and impossible," for we can and do the impossible every day. I have never forgot that and we could do the job and did do the impossible many times, if anyone doubts this, all you have to do is look around at all the Iron Workers have built or moved and done.

I was lucky, I got to go to work for my father when I first broke in, he told me a few things. The first was, "you have to make a name for yourself". The second was not advice per say but I always think about it. It was my second job and we were working in Kodak park setting some pipe bridges between buildings. It was when JLGs were first really becoming popular, I could not reach my point and to be honest I was a bit scared to lean out and make it. I said I cant do it, my father told me that I was never to say that again, it was not in an Iron workers vocabulary. He said I have to do it that's my job as an iron worker. I think about that when ever i'm scared, and I still get scared! What local are you out of? I'm in 33

I'm a disabled Iron Worker after 30years of doing it. No way in hell no one can remotely lump Iron Workers into a bunch of slackers, or relate them to being in any way like a teamster. I can testify that would be pure ********..!!! Most men could not make a pimple on a Iron Workers *** as far as work goes or even remotely have a clue of how to do all that is required of a Journeyman Iron Worker, or have the balls to do it..!!

I agree there are better jobs and better paying jobs, we all do what ever to make a living for our families. Whether you are union or not, or management it does not matter. If you are lucky enough to land a good job or have a degree and a well paying job, or own your own business "God bless you." I am happy for you. but never lump everyone in the same boat. Each person rich or poor that goes in everyday and puts in a good days work can come home knowing he is as good a person as the highest paid person any where.

ICANHITHIMAN, The retirement was $40 per credit when I had to take disability so that may give you an idea I'm no spring chicken. I will add this, no one is going to have a job Iron Working anywhere unless he is a good worker. A journeyman Iron Worker is a person very skilled in many things and does a very hard job and needs to back up to no one for his check.

An old Iron Worker told me when I first started Iron Working when I questioned us being able to do something, he said 2 words you need to forget. "Can't and impossible," for we can and do the impossible every day. I have never forgot that and we could do the job and did do the impossible many times, if anyone doubts this, all you have to do is look around at all the Iron Workers have built or moved and done.

I surmise that nothing has changed with Cumo's mandate as of present and you are on this 7 round magazine mandate as well as a turn in/register date of April 15, 2015??

Keeping my fingers crossed the 'disease' don't spread westward......

Some pics from Albany NY yesterday. The following 8 pics (in 2 posts) are a panorama starting with the "scene of the crime," The State Capitol building. For those who may not be familiar with the area, this 'space' is a city block.

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 97
Part II

From the green tent in the first pic... Those speaking included Tom King of NYSRPA, David Keene President of the NRA, State Senator Kathleen Marchione whos online petition has gathered nearly 116,000 signatures, St Sen. Bonicic who referred to the legislation as a "bunch of Cr @ p. I think I quoted that correctly. And a number of other legislative leaders who did not vote for the law on that night.

One interesting note, in the middle of the afternoon, after a number of loud chants of "we will not comply," "No Deal - Repeal," and a few others, a considerable number of other legislators showed up to participate even though thay were not scheduled to speak and all were professing their no vote last month. Several long serving State Senators mentioned that we were the largest crowd thay have ever seen in Albany to rally for or against anything. Whether or not that is fact is up for debate.

Regardless, we were 'noticed' by legislators, the Governor, even though he was down in NYC. We also understand this made the national news during the day yesterday. I'd like to hear from those around the country who may have seen us.

Media estimates put us at 7000 +.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 88
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 88
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.