The perfect caliber

lapua brass is available for the 300 win. the main reason i choose it over the rum. that is what i would suggest. with a kreiger and a vais. ron

I would have agree w/ the moderator - 325 WSM!! Outstanding barrel life and plenty of bullet selection, deadly on elk out to your required 800 yds.

I don't believe in the perfect caliber. There are many good ones, but if someone was to hear me say there was a perfect one, then I wouldn't be justified in owning so many guns!

But if I had to choose one to meet your criteria I would go with these:

6.5-.284 with 140 bergers at 3000+. Fits your needs except for the barrel life. 1500 rounds max before set back needed.

300 Short mag with 180 bullets built on a long action to seat the bullets way out of the case. ALso may be a bit optimistic on barrel life of 2000 rounds.

But I think the best one may very well be the 280 AI shooting 160 accubond. Good barrel life, enough poop to kill elk at 800 yards, and easy on the pocket book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When is the Ione shoot? I don't know anything about it and would like some information please. Would be a lot of fun to watch...might participate even. I have a bunch of 750 A-Maxes loaded up for my .50 if they are allowed. I don't hunt with the .50 but it is fun to shoot a long ways.Thanks

The perfect caliber? One that shoots bullets with a BC of 1.000, the recoil of a .243, and stays supersonic out to 2500yd. Oh wait, you meant in real life. ****. Well, you could always go 338 Lapua or RUM. I have heard the 416 Barrett might be accurate too! Or, another snot beater would be a 375 RUM shooting 260gr Accubonds. Thats pretty accurate for me out to 500yd at least. Oh, dont forget, you can just neck up your 300 brass too.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.