The need to practice

406precision

I was sitting here watching the Patriots and Colts play in a down pour... and this got me thinking of how many people are fair weather shooters and the lack of practice you get if you only choose to shoot when it's 70 and sunny.

I think practicing in the field this time of year is paramount to success in the field. If you don't practice in the weather you hunt in your in for surprises come hunting season.

I've actually had guys tell me they don't practice this time of year because they don't like the cold or having to shoot in the wind...lol

How many here choose to shoot come rain or shine?

Jordan@406

I work outside in the woods, I have seen pouring rain, blowing snow, blistering heat and high winds. So I have learned to dress for weather and be comfortable. That being said I shoot when ever I get the chance haha. I don't however shoot in extremely high winds 30 mph and up, I feel I'm wasting ammo. As far as rain, if its drizzling or just a steady moderate rain I might shoot. Heavy down pours I'll stay home...

Not only do I shoot in the snow and wind, but I check my zero almost always after a horse hunt....which is most days, or at least a couple of times per week this time of year. I have perfected the two head lamp, 10 pm rain or snow, pitch black, practice session.

Kind of looked like the Colts needed a little more practice in a down pour?:D

I do try to get out and shoot all year long and don't figure I'll melt in a little rain or snow. But will admit that I don't hardly ever go out on purpose to shoot in a down pour, but then I usually don't hunt when it is raining hard. These old legs need a rest once in a while, so if it's raining pretty good I elect those days to rest them.

I shoot year round to get as much practice I can get. I have been out in the single digits already and snow. It's usually windy her all the time wether it's light or up to 15mph. I don't waste my ammo when it's really windy or raining hard. Light rain I set up an easy up for cover and shoot. If you dress for the weather your good to go. I love to shoot so it takes a lot to keep me out of the field.

Between hunting and competitive rifle shooting I find that I can be subjected a wide range of conditions. I don't necessarily go overboard, shooting in a torrential downpour or blizzard, but I will test loads and practice my shooting throughout the year not paying too much mind to the climate.

I don't hunt in a ton of rain..so I don't practice in down pour conditions, but this thread was more about getting out and shooting in the kind of weather you hunt in.

I see alot of people at the range two weeks before season shooting of a bench and out of a lead sled and it makes me cringe...knowing that was thier practice for the year.

I meet alot more people who like the thought of shooting more than the act of shooting lol

Jordan@406

A while ago, I used to shoot off of a bench that I had made and a rest. I don't do that anymore. I shoot every rifle that I have exactly the way that I would be if I were putting the crosshairs on an animal that I was going to harvest. Bipod and rear bag. I even sight my rifles in this way and even tested loads this way. Its pretty amazing how solid you can get with the right form while using a bipod and a rear bag.

As for weather, if there is any rain or snow (I have only had to shoot at an animal in rain where I live), I will greatly reduce the distance at which I will shoot at the animal. You have to keep that ego in check and shoot within your capabilities! As for myself, I wouldn't take an animal that was over 400 yards in a good rain. This is because I just havn't practiced shooting further than that in the rain so I am not comfortable with it. But that is just me and I can only speak for myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts