The fouled barrel

I buy BoreTech Eliminator from www.midwayusa.com Just for fun you should clean with your regular cleaner and method. Then before you shoot the rifle go back in ith the Boretech and clean again. Everyone I know that has tried this was amazed at the copper still in there. I am glad you decided to try this, and I look forward to your results. I was very happy when my first bullets were within 1 moa of point of aim even past 1000 yards and the next 2 formed a 1/2 moa group.

Jeff

You read my mind, to see if it the boretech product would remove any additional fouling. Also, If I have access to the borescope, a before and after comparison will be in order. I will let you know what I find out though it may be a few weeks before I get a chance to shoot again.

Pete

Wile,
I find one thing interesting in your senerio, I just finished build on 7mm rm and it groups the exact same way with clean bore first shot high 2 oclock next shots are poa regardless of yardage. I am curious what bullets you are shooting. I am using 168vld's. I read somewhere, possibly here that vld's are bad about a flyer. All my loads are the same as I am a little anal about reloads.(68.5grs.H1000, Hornady cases, fed215m primers, I tried cci magnums but still got same results all bullets are seated to same depth, coal is 3.519 which is touching lands. I tried backing off and jumping but that didn't work.)

Anyway I found the same thing fouled barrel first shot is poa. One note I don't beleive in cleaning out copper, carbon yes, copper only after several hundred shots or when accuracy drops off. But that is just MHO.

Here's my load build (most of it anyway)
Hornady brass headspaced off the shoulder by .0015" to .002".

CCI-250

Retumbo - enough to get an average MV of 3020 fps.

Berger 168VLD H (orange box) seated to .010" off the lands
My observation of Berger VLDs is they are particular about how they are seated in relation to the rifling. A shooting buddy also has a 7mmRM that won't shoot a decent group unless seated almost .080" or more back from the lands. My rifle likes them to touch but I won't do that with my hunting guns hence the .010 leade. Sticking a bullet in the bore is bad JuJu that could end a hunt or worse. This may be meaningless but his barrel is an original Remington factory model from the 70's whereas mine is a relatively new custom barrel.

Another observation is that VLD bullets are a long range design. Shooting groups at 100 or 200 yds hardly ever yields a one hole group. My 300+yd groups always show better performance and better as the distance gets longer - to a point within reason. I know I'm not the first to see these phenomena as many have mentioned it here and elsewhere before. I am able to corroborate what they have said.

Pete

I buy BoreTech Eliminator from www.midwayusa.com Just for fun you should clean with your regular cleaner and method. Then before you shoot the rifle go back in ith the Boretech and clean again. Everyone I know that has tried this was amazed at the copper still in there. I am glad you decided to try this, and I look forward to your results. I was very happy when my first bullets were within 1 moa of point of aim even past 1000 yards and the next 2 formed a 1/2 moa group.

Jeff

You can not beat bore tech IMO!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts