That's One Fine Looking Cartridge

The 6.5 PRC is definitely a nice cartridge to have on hand for decent all around hunter. Mild recoil, decent speed, and excellent bullet selection for the reloader. Mine seems to shoot everything pretty well. Currently running the 135 for wolves but the 156 will be something I'll try on big game down the road.

Like my Browning HC LR, just about to load some ADG brass and 156 Bergers.
Browning 6.5 PRC.jpg

brass and bullets.jpg

Thanks Nimrodmar. That's one of my final 4. That, the Bergara HMR, Browning Max long range and Ruger Hawkeye LRT.
Still can't decide. Did your High Country come with a brake?
I wouldn't overlook a good deal on a Browning HC long range either.
Hoping folks on here will say enough good or bad about their experience with the above guns to help me decide.

Last edited:
Thanks Nimrodmar. That's one of my final 4. That, the Bergara HMR, Browning Max long range and Ruger Hawkeye LRT.
Hoping folks on here will say enough good or bad about their experience with the above guns to help me decide.
I have a Xbolt HCLR in 6.5 CM. Had it since Sept. It's a very nice rifle, shot good out of the box with pretty much everything but needed a trigger. Like I couldnt adjust it lower than maybe 6-7lbs. A spring got it down to maybe 5lbs, and a Timney fixed the problem entirely. You do lose the locked bolt on safe with the Timney tho.
Anyways it's a hunting rifle, with the stock it handles well and quick to shoulder (for a 26") and shoots easy from any position. A better all around hunting stock than the upright grips, for me anyways.
The magazine and chamber allow for a little longer C.O.L than some, ie I shoot the 147 ELDM at 2.882 and it stacks em in there.
One in a 6.5 PRC would be an excellent one and done huntin rifle I think.

Yes, it came with a brake. Savage put a brake on the magnum caliber High Country rifles, and the PRC qualifies

Here is my new Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC with Leupold 3-15x44. Took it out this weekend for its first range session and it shot well. Just shooting factory ammo to get the barrel broken in properly but it did shoot well, roughly 1moa at 200 yards and shot outstanding at 500 yards, less than 1 moa. I think its going to be a keeper, nice an light and it comes up well.View attachment 167554
Here is a hint. For break in use sierras. Harder jacket.

One of the guys I shoot with brought out a new Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5prc this weekend to try at 1000yds it's a pretty nice rifle. Compared to my 6.5 Creedmoor it looks like a short magnum. He was shooting a couple hundred more FPS faster than me. The one I'm thinking about is the 300PRC

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.