Opinions on the Savage 110 High Country

Ultralight will quickly get heavier with a good scope and mounts, for me it would get a bedded stock from McMillian or B&C, by that time weight would be about perfect. The savage barrels are copper and carbon mines but often shoot like they are match barrels :) Got a 12BVSS that shoots 2's simply skim bedded, 308 tactical that will stay in threes if I do my part. Both factory barrels, but a good criterion pre fit from NSS also brings accuracy with ease of cleaning. They are putting their best barrels (proof carbon) on the ultralights and truing the actions as well. If you want accuracy go with one of them IMHO :)
I spoke with mcmillan last week about a stock for the ultralight. I was told I would have to send the barreled action to have a stock built. Not sure I want to put that much time in to it. Sure would look good in a McMillan

Only downside I see to the Savage is aftermarket stock companies not willing to make shelf ready stocks for all of the different action configurations. Savage screwed the pooch there with too many revisions over time. I had to send my barreled action to Manners, and was stuck with a blind magazine only. But I didn't have all of the great factory options then that we do now, it's a great rifle but I wouldn't go that route again.

I looked at the High Country for my son, but decided to get the Savage Long Range Hunter instead. The High Country definitely has a weight issue and is not as well balanced as the Long Range Hunter. Cabela's put the Long Range Hunter on sale this week for $559. I'll take off the adjustable muzzle brake and replace with a thread protector.

Cabela's put the Long Range Hunter on sale this week for $559. I'll take off the adjustable muzzle brake and replace with a thread protector.

Just leave it in the closed position then. I've found no poi shift between open or closed with mine

I have one in 6.5 PRC and it is heavy but it shoots .5 or less with factory 143 eld-x I got mine before the ultralight was on the market I would go with the ultralight now

I compared both the ultralight and the high country side by side at the Harrisburg outdoor show and I was impressed more with how smooth the high country's bolt was vs the ultralight. Both my buddy and I said if we would walk out the door with just one it would have been the high country. Best wishes!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.