Tests of the G-A Precision 375 H&H

Dave King

As I posted elsewhere I picked up "The Monkey Blaster" and have it fitted out.

It's a Remington 700 long action, heavy recoil lug, Schneider Sendero contoured 26" barrel, cannibalized Remington Sendero stock, Badger bases and rings, Leupold Vari-X III M3 Long Range (3.5 x 10), Eagle Stock pack, Harris bipod, Turner Saddlery sling.

It's a solid feeling gun and in my hands feels light @ 12lbs 12oz.

(My other rifles;
416 Rigby CZ 550 @ 9lbs 8oz (no scope or bipod)
300 WSM Rem 700 G-A Precision @ 16lbs 4oz
308 Win Rem 700 G-A Precision @ 14lbs even
243 Win "Gumby" Rem 722 G-A Prec @ 14lbs 4 oz)

First few rounds out of the rifle were at 42 yards to "zero" the scope. This was with some old loads from a previous 375H&H.

I ordered some brass, bullets and a three (3) die set from Sinclair, they arrived yesterday (06Aug2004). I made 5 rounds using the 260 Nosler Accubond, 73gr of Reloder 15, Fed GM 215M primers and set OAL at 3.600 (slight crimp too). A quick trip to a local field and I fired from the bipod onto the target 200 yards distant on the side of a hill. I was parked in a patch of Poison Ivy so I shot from the pickup bed, a little bounce for the bipod and I cushioned the legs with some work gloves. I shot a three (3) round group that was 1.76" tall and .36" wide with the group center .5 inches low and 2.7 inches right of Point Of Aim (POA). This about works out to a .9 MOA tall x .2 MOA wide first group with the rifle. I reset the scope windage (there was no wind when I was shooting) and reset the elevation figuring the 200 yard "zero" was better than the 42 yard quick setup.

I figure to load up some more of those 73 grains of RL-15, 260 Accubond loads and shoot for group and trajectory (I'll setup the chronograph too) tomorrow. So far I'm right pleased with this rifle.

The trigger has just a little creap in it, might be a little oil on it. The recoil is not of any concern to me but I imagine a recoil sensative person might not like the rifle. The palm swell is small (relatively) and makes the rifle feel "handier/quicker". The M3LR I have on it is a duplex reticle model that I got in the Bargain Cave at Cabela's (USD $580 IIRC), I miss the MilDot and will probably send the scope to Premier for a fix-up.

Unless something drastic happens I'm going to use this rifle on my long/er range fall elk hunt in Colorado. I do believe a 260 grain 375 diameter bullet should kill one of those critters (too bad Sierra don't make a MatchKing for the 375
wink.gif
)

I'll post some more group and load info as I get it.

Dave
Will be interesting to hear what your drops are with the new cannon. I believe that we will be hearing about a long range shot in Colorado this fall!!!
Nothing wrong with putting tactical scopes on hunting rifles, matter of fact I am in the process of switching most of my rifles to tacs. Like you I have been pretty much conditioned to the mildots, but who is to say that there is not a better way?
Have fun, very interested to hear about your shooting.
(That would be a wicked white buffalo clanger, we gots to do that still!!!!).

Just back from shooting. The 260 Accubonds went over the Oehler at 2819fps (STDEV of 13). I used 73gr of RL15, Fed 215M, Win brass and OAL or 3.600. The fella with me decided he DID NOT want to shoot "The Monkey Blaster" after watching me get thrashed about each shot. (It's not that bad, just looks bad I guess. No snot flying like on the 338 RUM with 300's
smile.gif
)

The time was real short and I didn't get to shoot for accuracy just a few rounds through the trees at 400 yards and it looks like I need 7 MOA over my 100 yard Zero. It's a litle odd having the M3LR in that I can't get and exact 100 yard Zero and I'll need to play with it some more.

Just back again with another trip to shoot the 375 H&H.

I loaded a pile of rounds with the 260 Accubond and RL-15.. Seems to work pretty good. On my Zero reset today (still playing with the M3LR) my three shot group was 2 MOA low but only measured .687.

So far the only two groups I've shot with the rifle have been ~.9 MOA (200 yards) and ~.7 MOA (100 yards). I believe this is a keeper. For a big ole 375 H&H using virgin brass and the 260 Accubond I believe it'll end up being a .75 MAO gun easily, maybe .5 MOA once I figure everything out.

Where are those monkeys???

[ 08-14-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Dave
At 3.600 how far off are they seated? My mod 70 Safari shoots 260 partitions at 3.620 and just fit in the mag. They are a little far from the lands but still shoot MOA, often .8. Load is 72 Grains of R-15 2780 fps. I want to try Accubonds. Now I need at least an elevation knob for the 2.5-8.
Monkeys? How about some "barking tree dogs" (baboons) sounds like it should silence em!

Rimfire

I didn't check actuial length on the chambering as I wanted to use the "standard" factory round length.

I believe I'm using 73gr of RL-15 and the rounds are flying pretty good, faster than I had anticipated, and flatter than I thought too.

Barking Tree Dogs, yeah, those are the ones I'm gonna send packing when I'm over there. Fella I talked with said "they're smart and will run off out of range after the first shot". I asked how far they would run, he replied "300 yards"... not far enough I say. I believe I'll be able to shoot 600 yards no problem with TMB, there'll be some PhD carrying Baboons by the time I get done.

I really like the rifle, shoots very well, looks just like a Remington Sendaro, has "The Monkey Blaster" etched onto the barrel. I'm gonna use it for elk this fall, maybe I'll use for deer too!

Chris Matthews did a fine job building it and Ian McMurchy named it, I'm just the driver
smile.gif

While having beakfast this morning there was an article in USA Today. Something about "all the monkeys in SA are migrating en masse to neighboring countries and the wildlife biologists can't figure out why. The phenomenon started yesterday"...
smile.gif

SOMEWHERE IN AFRICA
Spotter: First big limb down from the top of that baobab tree, seven feet out from the trunk. See that big male with the bright-red butt picking gnits out of the head of that little female.
Dave K.: Got him, target acquired.
Spotter: Distance is 725 yards, give me 26 minutes of elevation, wind is steady from three o'clock, give me 4 1/2 mintes right.
Dave K.: 21 up and 4 1/2 right.
Spotter: Uh... He's looking our way, seems to be lifting his right foreleg and pointing his middle digit straight up in the air.
Dave K.; Got that, that SOB's giving me the finger!
Spotter: Either that or he is holding up a banana, looks like he is going to - did you see what he just did with that banana!!! That female shouldn't have turned her back to him like that!! Now he is chasing the other monkey down the tree trying to get his banana back, stay with him Dave.
Dave K; Got him. He got it back and now he's eating the **** thing!
Spotter; Tell me when you are on him.
Dave K.: Shooter ready
Spotter: Send it

Dave, just an idle moment
grin.gif

Just wanted to give you guys a few mental images to roll around in your heads
wink.gif

Idle moments - not right now. Have 11 articles to get out plus a few columns. Still fun tho...

Ian

I believe several folks got a mental image on that post. You have a bit on immunity though being a Canadian.

Maybe I should start making some baboon silhouettes, sort of a African Silhouette Shoot sieries. Marabou, Warthog, Ostrich, Zebra...bonus Baboon(s) in a tree.

Dave,
Bottom line is that you have a great new GA rifle and it is shooting like you planned. I would sure like to shoot it. Let you shoot my new GA Lite if you let me shoot your Monkey Blaster
grin.gif

Dave,
You better make those baboon targets the size of elephants so 4 certain so called gun experts can hit the **** things at 400 yards!! (Ian is not one of the 4, by the way)
Maybe if you and Ian let them shoot your rifles they could hit it!
grin.gif

Ian,
11 articles- you slacker!!!LOL!!
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.