TEST 1, Gen 2 Berger 300 gr Hybrid VLD

Eric,

I apologize for the mislabeling of these bullets, that will not happen again.

I will admit, that in the past every time I pulled the trigger on one of my wildcat rifles using a Berger bullet, I always had the thought in my mind if they would make it to the target. That thinking is going away quickly with the 338 caliber at least.

Would agree that in a 338 Edge, 338 Lapua, 338 Allen Xpress, 338 Kubla Kahn or anything else in this velocity range, there should never be a problem at least not using this lot of bullets. If things stay the same which I know they will, I think you will get great reviews.

On the bonded core option, that was more a half hearted wish more then anything. I realize the extreme difficulty in making a bullet with a boat tail design like this with a bonded core. Most have not seen the bullet making process or had it explained to them the difficulties this poses to the bullet maker.

It would be nice but not a requirement to use the 338 Hybrid on big game for sure!!!

Can not wait to get these things into some big game this fall!!!

The BC's are the same for the Gen 2 bullet as Gen 1:
G1 BC: .818 (average from 3000 to 1500 fps)
G7 BC: .419 good for all speeds

-Bryan

Thanks Bryan!

Kirby,

That's some mighty awesome bullet, I'm sure glad you've done this testing.

It sure is of great benefit to a bunch of us. Thank you!

Can't go without saying that Eric, Bryan and the rest of the folks at Berger bullets
have indeed done a great job!

Your shooting ability is nothing new, still great shooting. We forgive you for the wind over look! :D :D :D

Kirby,
Interesteing read.
Can you elaborate on how you determined the Berger's will expand more than the SMK ?

Kirby,
Interesteing read.
Can you elaborate on how you determined the Berger's will expand more than the SMK ?

Trueblue,

Not Kirby, this is Eaglet. My understanding was that Kirby had already previously shot the SMK's at that same range, and though all bullets were striking on sand and hard soil rocks or whatever, what was remaining from both bullets seems to show that the Berger Hybrids would expand better. He also said this wasn't enough and more testing was coming.

I quoted from memory, I hope that was close enough!

Trueblue,

Not Kirby, this is Eaglet. My understanding was that Kirby had already previously shot the SMK's at that same range, and though all bullets were striking on sand and hard soil rocks or whatever, what was remaining from both bullets seems to show that the Berger Hybrids would expand better. He also said this wasn't enough and more testing was coming.

I quoted from memory, I hope that was close enough!

Yep, thanks.

Great testing and information being shared here Kirby. Thank you soooooooo much. Eric should put you on their 'tester' payroll. The way your testing has panned out so far, you'll help Berger sell a LOT of these bullets. I'm a buyer as soon as they're available! gun)

I am on the Berger Offical tester list but no desire to get paid for it. We all need businesses and individuals to help test our products and for us smaller businesses, if we had to pay everyone to help us test things it would really hit us hard cost wise.

I am the same way with my products. I have had several customers with rifle projects on the books that agreed last year to change up their projects and go with the Raptor LRSS or Stalker rifles to help me out get some hands on testing. It really helps me out to get some first hand reviews out there and this is what Berger needs as well.

I have been pretty vocal about how berger bullets have not held up to my wildcat bullets. They have really stepped up with these 338 bullets nad need to commended and rewarded for their efforts to get us a quality bullet choice for those of us with big 338s.

I am hoping to get bullets in the air very soon with my 338 Raptor and I have a friend with a 338 Allen Xpress that will be hunting with me this fall on a S. Dakota mule deer hunt that wants to use these bullets as well so we need to get some testing done in that chambering as well. Soon we will have load development done and three of my four 338 wildcats.

I think this bullet may be THE bullet for long range big game hunting out of the 338 Lapua/Edge class rifle at 2800-2850 fps up to my 338 Raptor which I am predicting will offer a 3100-3150 fps top end velocity range.

With the big 338 AMs and any other 408 CT based wildcat. Accuracy and consistancy wise, I could not be any happier. The only question now is terminal performance which we can do some testing with this bullet but until bullets are put into big game animals we will have some questions on their performance. Because of the size of this bullet, I personally believe this bullet will be an amazing bullet on heavy deer size game and at longer ranges I beleive it will be a great elk bullet as well in the 3200 to 3400 fps range of the 408 CT based wildcats. At ranges under 600 yards, at this muzzle velocity, you better avoid heavy shoulder bones but with most of these rifles, thats not all that hard to do.

Again, must testing to be done and we will be doing alot of testing soon in many different chamberings.

I also have two more 338 AMs that I will be testing. Its very good to see one 338 AM shoot these bullets extremely well, it will only add confidence to see several different 338 AMs. all with different barrel lengths, barrels and such shoot these bullets as well as they did in the first test.

I am confident there will be no issues at all. But will report all I find to you guys.

I am confident there will be no issues at all. But will report all I find to you guys.

lightbulb That's why your testing results are so credible. We know you pretty much tell it like it is. In the past, some deficiencies with the Berger line of bullets at your ultra-high velocities. Now it sounds like this production of Berger Gen II Hybrids is hitting on all cylinders - even at those extreme velocities. Shawn shot a couple of these Gen II Hybrid's into wet newspaper at relatively low velocity and the results were good. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/berger-300-gr-gen-2-penetration-testing-72855/

I expect good terminal performance on game. Now I'm just waiting for the bullets to become available retail. Third Generation Shooting Supply typically stocks a good supply of Berger bullets, and they're a site Sponsor, so I'll be monitoring their web site. Berger

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.