First Bull Elk, Berger 300 grain Hybrid Gen 1 performance

Bob L.

My brother in law was nice enough to take me hunting on my first Oregon rifle bull elk hunt. The weather was pretty bad with wind, snow, and heavy rain but we were able to get it done. We spotted a herd of a dozen elk from a landing about a mile away. We thought we could get closer by walking in a de-comissioned road that may take us to a landing and put us around 500-600 yards from the elk. We grabbed all the gear and my new 338edge and headed towards them.
Once we rounded the corner to our surprise we were only 300 yards from the elk! They were across the draw below us and the wind was perfect. My bull was feeding and slightly quartering away from me facing uphill. I put the cross hairs near the rear of the ribs so the cross hairs were aimed at the off front leg.
At the shot the bull immediately locked up, I sent another Berger this time closer to the shoulder. he locked up again and was dead on his feet. He took one step and fell and slid about 100 ft. I was really pumped. It was my first bull elk and the first time I was able to take an animal with my 338edge and Berger 300 gen 1's.
The gen 1's worked awesome, it blew threw the feed bag destroyed the liver and lungs and threw scrapnel into the heart. It threw a rib and a bunch of grass into the off shoulder. I haven't recovered the other bullet because it is also in the off shoulder which I will get from the butcher.
My brother in law also 6.5wsm'd a bull to death in the timber. My edge is running those gen 1's at 2820 and I think they will work great for my velocity range, I will shoot these with confidence. The recovered bullet mushroomed great and weighed 153 grains. I know this was only 300 yards but carried the edge out there because I thought I was facing a 500-600 yard shot, but heck needed to break the gun in anyway.
God Bless
Bob

2nu1sts.jpg

Sorry blurry pic Berger gen 1

2cpar9y.jpg

Brother in law's bull

2sbvo6e.jpg

Outstanding Bob! That would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. As for me personally, if that bull had been 30yds instead of 300, I'd have been more than happy to blast him with a 338Edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.