Terminal effectiveness

The Proof is in the Pudding

All right, guys, here's my actual real world experience as a result of using:

22/6mm Remington with 70 Grain VLD Bergers at 3644 FPS.
When I got to the gate of the pasture Monday morning, I shot five P-dogs before opening the gate. The first one I shot was smoking like he was on fire. My first fleeting thought was "Wow, that bullet really is smoking." Then I looked at the temp readout on the mirror in the Suburban, and it said 45 degrees, so then I knew it was just the warm insides exposed to the cold. As far as I can tell, these bullets are extremely lethal. They don't seem to launch P-dogs like some of the B-tips or V-Maxes I've shot in the past, but when you examine the corpse, you can't tell the difference. The animal has experienced instant termination and destruction.

6x284 Winchester with 105 A-Maxes and 95 VLD Bergers. A-Maxes at 3200 and Bergers at an estimated 3350. My chrono wouldn't work the day I tested this load. I know the 105 is making 3200, and I am loading two more grains of H4831SC with the 95 which is 10 grains lighter, so you tell me.

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed in the 105 only being shot at 3200, but that was where the accuracy was. Well, in the field, you would have thought it was making 4,000 FPS. It simply defied gravity and delivered an awesome punch way out there. I had it sighted in at 1.25 inches high at 100, and it was simply hold on the target out to 300 or better. Everything I shot, P-dogs and cottontails, exploded. It delivered much the same type of wound as the 70-grain Berger, but just more of it. This trip I didn't shoot at anything over 600 yards because we were just shooting out the window and didn't have a proper rest set up. The landowners were more interested in us doing them some good than how far out the shots were.

Okay. Lastly, the 95 grain Berger is very frangible to have such a small meplat. One cottontail essentially disintegrated except for a holey pelt. It simply removed all the insides and sent them flying. I love the look of the Berger. It looks like you are shooting needles, but it didn't just make little holes in anything. I have some pics on my cell phone, and if I figure out how to get them posted, I will.

I guess the comment of my shooting partner sums it up pretty well. After I pulled out the 6x284, he commented after about 20 shots, "That gun is boring. All you do is point the gun and the prairie dog explodes."

Oh, by the way, just my two cents, but the 22/6mm has a Brux barrel on it that is about 29.5 inches long. The guys at Brux are good to deal with and got me the barrel within two to three weeks, and it shoots three shot .1s. Total cost was $240 for the barrel and $15 shipping. Give them a try. I just got another in from them in 8.5 twist, and I'm going to try the 75 or 80 grain A-Maxes.

Good hunting

btt

Please post your own experiences with the 70 gr. Berger VLD, 105 Gr. A-Max Hornady or 95 grain Berger VLD or similar bullets whether on live game or target only.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.