Tell Me About the 300 WBY

I have a WBY. Mark V UltraLight in .300 Wby. Mag. I installed a radial Dave Holland muzzle brake ported radial on sides and vertical on top. Excellent shooter with 200 gr. ELD'S AND 180 Accubond. Most groups in the 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 100 yards. It has a 26" barrel and scoped Swarovski 3 ×12 Z3. Not sure of weight but comfortable to carry all day and recoil like a nine lb. .270 Win. Or the pencil like barrel it shoots great. Get good ammo and enjoy trip!

We've all mentioned recoil mainly because it is more than your average whitetail round. But, one thing I've noticed in my hunts with my unbraked Weatherby cal rifles: I've never noticed the recoil when shooting at an animal. Not once. Even with an unbraked .340 Wby Mag. In my memory, the recoil was no different than shooting a whitetail with my .270 Win.

Now, at the range going through a box of shells...

Take your .300 Wby. Get in the best shape you can from now up to your hunt. Have fun and make sure to tell us about how it all went.
I agree with this 100 percent. shooting a 30-06 off the bench is much more noticeable, than a 340 when shooting at game.

I picked up a Japanese weathermark few years ago in 300 wby. Finally got around to playing with it for upcoming Colorado trip. Wish I would have messed with it years ago. Hate weatherby stock design so I put it in a Bell Carlson 700 style stock. Bedded the action, recoil lug and floated it. I tried several different bullets had some promise with 7828 and 200 eld Xs also same powder and 180 gr accubonds. Ended up trying 168 Bergers vld hunting and a stiff load of H4831sc running around 3250 on them. Ran 190 Bergers in it also with not as much accuracy as the 168s so I settled on them. Was told there was to much freebore in the mark v for Bergers. Which is correct if I wanted to start at the lands that bullet was way out there. I loaded to mag length then did the Berger loading procedure from there backing it up. I found a sweet spot and shoots unreal. Also was told don't take the pressure points out of the stock on the mark v and I didnt listen to that either. Shot way better with out them!
985162C3-66EF-4043-A38D-E001178963D3.jpeg
662D5B33-3D66-4222-99E9-6CF778154C1B.jpeg
352C4DC7-6157-4727-90BA-B14012ED4F74.jpeg

Find the steepest terrain to climb you can and take short breaths while moving up as fast as you can!

Find the steepest terrain you have access to and climb it as fast as you can while taking the smallest breaths you can! Physical conditioning is great but there is no way I found to get used to the altitude difference from the 2500' elevation to 7-10000' elevation. Ps if a local says eat a banana, do it! Good luck the 300 wby will serve you well!
For altitude, you can train by breathing slowly and running fast. Stay on the edge so you don't hurt yourself, but induce minor oxygen starvation to fool the body into responding as if you were at higher elevation. Increase the breathe/pace ratio just one increment at a time and you will soon feel your oxygen uptake begin to increase its efficiency. After a week or two, you'll feel the increase in oxygen uptake beginning to build. Patience ... hunting season is coming, and the pleasure of having been in shape for it will last for a long time.

I picked up a Japanese weathermark few years ago in 300 wby. Finally got around to playing with it for upcoming Colorado trip. Wish I would have messed with it years ago. Hate weatherby stock design so I put it in a Bell Carlson 700 style stock. Bedded the action, recoil lug and floated it. I tried several different bullets had some promise with 7828 and 200 eld Xs also same powder and 180 gr accubonds. Ended up trying 168 Bergers vld hunting and a stiff load of H4831sc running around 3250 on them. Ran 190 Bergers in it also with not as much accuracy as the 168s so I settled on them. Was told there was to much freebore in the mark v for Bergers. Which is correct if I wanted to start at the lands that bullet was way out there. I loaded to mag length then did the Berger loading procedure from there backing it up. I found a sweet spot and shoots unreal. Also was told don't take the pressure points out of the stock on the mark v and I didnt listen to that either. Shot way better with out them!View attachment 218120View attachment 218121View attachment 218122
I am shooting 200 Nosler AB and PT in my Japanese MKV with RL22. Just curious, mind sharing your load with 168?

I inherited my great grandfather's Ackley improved 300 wby. After talking with a fish and game officer, he talked me out of a muzzle brake, and I ended up with a suppresor instead. It takes a lot of the starch out of it, no debris flying around you, and you don't need hearing protection.

I am shooting 200 Nosler AB and PT in my Japanese MKV with RL22. Just curious, mind sharing your load with 168?
80.0 - h4831sc
168 Berger Vld ( I started at mag length and worked my back to find where Vld wanted seated good bit of jump but it works for me.)
Weatherby brass
Fed 215
Velocity 3209
Es-11

I think that's right at max or . 1 over. Zero pressure signs but shot tell well to mess with. I run 4831sc in few other rifles esp my 6.5x284 so I was happy found another one to feed it with.

80.0 - h4831sc
168 Berger Vld ( I started at mag length and worked my back to find where Vld wanted seated good bit of jump but it works for me.)
Weatherby brass
Fed 215
Velocity 3209
Es-11

I think that's right at max or . 1 over. Zero pressure signs but shot tell well to mess with. I run 4831sc in few other rifles esp my 6.5x284 so I was happy found another one to feed it with.
Thanks. I will have to give it a try now that the weather is cooling down. I have used IMR4350 with 180 Nosler BT and IMR7828 with 180 Barnes TSX and RL 22 with 200 grns. Never tried with H4831.

I won't be that rigorous but I'll do something similar. I think our hikes to the hunting grounds will only be 2-3 miles, but depending on terrain that could be rough. I have a phone call with the guide tonight to get some more details so I'll share them here.

I don't do any specific workout ritual. But, if hunting with weed eaters, shovels and lawn mowers.....I can keep up with the best of y'all! ;) memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.