TC Impact trigger, free floating, and bedding

I finished everything up yesterday. Unfortunatley there were some air pockets that didnt get filled in with epoxy. I may do a second coat to fill the voids. Also the modeling clay that I put in the trigger area must have not been coated in enough wax because it soaked up the epoxy and turned rock hard. I attempted to remove the epoxy/clay but it was so strong that I just decided to leave it in place. The job doesnt look the best but it is rock solid and holds the receiver very well.
photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 1-2.jpg
I did also find a large gap between the barrel and the receiver where the pin mounts. I am going to be picking up some brass feeler gauges today. Cut them to size and drill a hole for the pin so that i no longer have any barrel movement.

Here is a pic after i wrapped everything up. It may be difficult to see but if you look down the barrel you can see it is fully free floated. Next is a photo of three credit card peices fitted between the barrel and the action.
photo 2-2.jpg

photo 3-2.jpg

photo 4-2.jpg.
I was shocked to see that much play. That in itself could cause huge accuracy issues. I was pretty shocked that I was able to hold 1.5" groups with that kind of movement.

Can't wait to shoot a big mule deer with it! We are gonna have some fun chasing elk this year!

FINALLY! It's over, I finished all of the projects that I wanted to on the gun. I actually went back and filled in all of the areas that were missed when I bedded the action. I am very pleased with how it turned out. The action fits like a glove in the butt stock and is rock solid. Also I completed installing shims between the action and the barrel. This turned out exceptionally well. Before the barrel literally flopped around if you held it barrel up and shook it side to side. Now there is no apparent movement. I plan on going out with one of my buddies tomorrow afternoon to shoot gun), lets hope all of this work pays off!
Difficult to see, but here are the brass shims that I installed.
photo 001.jpg

photo 002.jpg

photo 003.jpg

It's official. I am selling the tc and buying a rem 700 to convert. I shot today and managed 1.5" groups at 100. I also shot at 300 and had good consistency but it just wasn't good enough for me. I will post pics later. I just called a local dealer and put an offer in in a 700 SPS .308.

Well you never know sometimes, and it was a good rifle to tinker with on bedding. Some gunsmiths like cutting off a few inches off a barrel and recrown. But once it's gone your not going to put those inches back on.

Yeah I will be honest. It was hotter then he** today. I tried to allow barrel cool down but it was so hot that it never really cooled. I am going to give it another shot on a cooler day. Not only that but I had a poor rest, I should have used the lead sled.

I forgot to take pics prior to putting the stickers over the target. You can see my two grouos though. The top target was 250 FTX, 100 GR BH209 the bottom was PR300 110 GR BH209. Also the top target, The lowest hole is from 300 yds. I screwed up and put my scope at 290yds. The bottom target is also 300 yds but i set my scope to 300. At this point i stopped shooting because both the gun and myself were so friggen hot. If i had set the scope properly to begin with you can see i would have a nice group. The other smaller hole is from my buddies 300 RUM.
photo 01.jpg

photo 02.jpg

photo 03.jpg

I'd certainly wait for a cooler day and try that again. That or pick up a couple cooling rods to cool the barrel between shots, something I'm considering if I can find the aluminum rod someplace around here. Its fairly easy if I'm only shooting 100yds, as I can do that at home and find something to do while the barrel cools down. I try to let it cool at least 20 minutes before loading. However when heading to the club and shooting long range, it sucks having to just stand around waiting. I try to be on the range as early as possible while its still cool.

Aluminum cooling rods? I assume that would be just a length of rod cut to length that fits snug in the barrel? Which through conduction cools the steel barrel.

Also it was about 85 degrees with 90 percent humidity. I was only allowing 5 min cool time. I am sure none of this helped anything.

Aluminum cooling rods? I assume that would be just a length of rod cut to length that fits snug in the barrel? Which through conduction cools the steel barrel.

Also it was about 85 degrees with 90 percent humidity. I was only allowing 5 min cool time. I am sure none of this helped anything.

Yes that's what many shooters do in hot weather. Finding one that fits in the barrel and is not to tight or to loose can be a task. You wouldn't want it to fit snug in the barrel. 5 minutes wasn't near enough cooling time with those conditions. You may have gotten away with the second shot, but anything after that you'd have been wasting your time IMO, without waiting longer. Temps that high really affect us muzzleloaders and we have to wait for that barrel to cool back down. Using the cooling rods, you'll have to wipe out the condensation each time but, it takes a 15 to 20 minute wait down to about 3 to 5 minutes. As I understand it, the softer the aluminum rod, the more conductive it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts