TC Icon feedback (308 blue finish, sporter contour)

westcliffe01

I have been wanting a 308 rifle for a while and with my Remington 700 experience, decided I would not go that route. I have a very recent Savage 10PC experience which was very positive, but thought I would give the TC Icon a whirl, as the company historically has quite the reputation (based on the single shot rifles).

I spent quite a while looking for an Icon, since about October 2011 when all the stores seemed out of stock. I thought this situation would normalize after hunting season, but not so. In fact the supply of Icons seems to have all but dried up, even on Gunbroker. I finally found one in the most basic specification: Blued finish, sporter contour and regular wood stock.

Here some pictures:
Icon_left.jpg

Icon_right.jpg

Icon_barrel.jpg

The stock had a pretty hefty scratch on the left side, but otherwise it looked like the rifle had hardly been fired at all.

The removable magazine holds only 3 rounds, which is rather few, but otherwise everything appears to function fine. I cleaned the bore with Hoppes #9 and called it good.

My first trip to the range I was shooting DAG head stamped 7.62x51 German military ammo and the initial group was very close to 1MOA. From that point onward things went to pieces pretty fast. I ended after 40 rounds with a group that was nearly 4" at 100yards.

In cleaning the rifle afterwards, I noticed that there was heavy copper fouling on the rifling and what I also noticed was a very discernible "gramophone finish" when running the nylon brush through the bore. I have meanwhile had a few rifles pass through my hands and can't say I have ever felt that type of machining artifact in a barrel, so I am pretty disappointed.

So my question, is whether this would be a good candidate for fire lapping ? I am not aware of aftermarket barrels for the Icon, does anyone else ? I am afraid that the fire lapping would cause irreparable damage to the throat and I would be back to square 1. What attracted me to this rifle was the promise of reasonable accuracy in a relatively light weight package with the integral optics rail. Just the finish in that bore that is now the major problem.

I am guessing that this rifle uses threaded barrels that are locked against a shoulder in a similar style to Remington. The bolt has 3 locking lugs and I imagine that it locks up into the receiver and not a barrel extension. The gun has a definite "ring" to it when it is fired. Like someone tapped the barrel with a drum stick ? I wonder if this is a characteristic of the aluminum bedding plate in the stock with little to do any damping ?

Anyway, one way or the other, I have to figure out a way to improve the bore finish to reduce the fouling. I have to wonder who TC has making their barrels ? Probably not the same source as what they had historically used if the outcome is considered.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.