TC Icon .308 Question

Nitrocrushr

I have an opportunity to buy a NIB TC Icon .308 with weather shield. This gun was purchased new this year and is unfired. My question is around the overall quality and reliability of the newer Icons (since they were bought out by S&W), as opposed to the older ones. I read about some issues that folks were having with the rifles right around the time of the buy-out (feed problems, etc.) Have these issues been resolved and is there anything I should be concerned with on the newer rifles?

Any insight you could offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

The Icon has been discontinued by S&W. It is obsolete. The factory will only support you with parts if you are under warranty. The factory refused to change my barrel, even if I was willing to pay, since "spares are reserved for warranty cases only".

If I were you, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. I have about $750 sunk in mine and it is a paperweight. The sporter barrel on mine has chatter marks from manufacturing (in the bore) that make it completely useless. No-one else is making parts for it.

Web chat with TC support:
Thank you for choosing Thompson/Center Arms. A representative will be with you shortly.

You are now chatting with 'Rachel'

Rachel: Hello, how can I help you?

Keith: Hello Rachel

Keith: Rachel, I have been in contact with Paul Gazda regarding repair work on a TC Icon

Keith: He says that it is not possible for the factory to replace the barrel ? I am confused ?

Rachel: Is your gun here with us?

Keith: So what is someone in my position to do ?

Keith: Could I request that the factory simply remove the existing barrel and return it ? That way I could ship it to a 3rd party barrel maker like Shilen or Lilja and get a replacement made. Otherwise I have a $750 paperweight.

Rachel: Unfortunately because that would put the product out of factory specifications we wouldn't be able to do that for you.

Rachel: What he means is because the Icon is discontinued we are only using the barrels we have for warranty repair as well as the stocks.

My uncle has an icon (dont know if its the newer one or the old one), i dont remember the cal but it takes 6 hours of 10% ammonia to clean all the copper out of the barrel from 20 shots. It shoots good but fouls like a pig.

The chatter in the barrel is a systematic problem of incorrect, worn out or damaged tooling. I'm sure there must be plenty out there like mine, this on TC's "flagship" rifle. The factory allowed how many rifles like that to go out the door regardless. I think prior to the S&W takeover the custom shop would have fixed it, but that was the first thing that the new owners closed. That dept was probably compensating for all of the crap that the factory let get out the door.

Anyway, my experience sure makes me understand why some people appreciate their Remington, because as lousy as mine were, I'm pretty sure they would have fixed a problem like that. Of course today it is Savage setting the standard for customer service.

I have lots of experience with an older (2010 ish) Icon in .270 win with a Zeiss Conquest atop. I can tell you that the only reason this rifle made the cut when I sold off all of my near factory rifles, to build custom long rangers is the accuracy. I can agree with the barrel fouling, is it is a bit of a nightmare and I do not consider the .270 win a very great round, but this gun flat out shoots with factory Fed Premium 140 grain Accubonds. I have taken numerous medium game from 40-450 yards with this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts