Talley One Piece ring and base combo

I have had talleys on 300rums and never had them slip. They are quality and work great. I use devcon to bed them To the action then a drop of superglue inside the top ring. Lots of rounds thru and zero failures
Instead of super glue I've used a little dab of automotive silicone has worked great so far and no problems getting scope loose if needed. David

Admittedly it's low recoil rifle, but on my sub 300 yd lightweight build I avoided any such band-aids and lapped the mount bores to insure good clamping of the scope tube. They needed it, they weren't bad as-is, but I gained quite a bit of contact area by lapping them.

Admittedly it's low recoil rifle, but on my sub 300 yd lightweight build I avoided any such band-aids and lapped the mount bores to insure good clamping of the scope tube. They needed it, they weren't bad as-is, but I gained quite a bit of contact area by lapping them.

I've lapped some that were perfect and others that were way out. I wonder if the gun was the problems on the ones out?

The only thing about lapping there is a fine line in maybe taking off to much most rings are designed where the top is usually pretty close to being bottomed out without removing any material I've moved on from the lapping stage to bedding my rings. David

It's not that hard to clean off the lapping compound and test-fit the scope as you go. Given that the Talley one piece rings are anodized aluminum it is also easy to get a decent idea of how much surface area is in contact vs. how much has an air gap. Just don't eliminate the air gap between the ring halves and if you can't get enough contact surface before the ring halves make contact you can always lap the flats of the rings to increase that gap as necessary.

I've lapped some that were perfect and others that were way out. I wonder if the gun was the problems on the ones out?
Not to be a smart-a___, but I'd say the answer is "Yes." Could be either or a combo of both that caused the misalignment.

Prior to lapping the Talley rings on the LWR project I pocketed them where they mate to the receiver and bedded them with Devcon AL putty. The idea of bedding rings is intriguing, but there's not a lot there to start with and I do not like thin section of epoxy. In my experience it works better when it has a little thickness to most of it and isn't all paper thin or thinner.

Not to be a smart-a___, but I'd say the answer is "Yes." Could be either or a combo of both that caused the misalignment.

Prior to lapping the Talley rings on the LWR project I pocketed them where they mate to the receiver and bedded them with Devcon AL putty. The idea of bedding rings is intriguing, but there's not a lot there to start with and I do not like thin section of epoxy. In my experience it works better when it has a little thickness to most of it and isn't all paper thin or thinner.
No different than that thin layer of body putty your body man used when he repaired your last fender bender with the adhesives they have today I wouldn't worry to much new a mechanic who was I Vietnam he said the choppers came in shot up they mixed up putty like job weld patched the holes sent them back up so should be safe on rings. David

You miss my point just saying that they have chemical adhesives this day and age that with stand high pressures that are more than cape able of bedding rings without problems. David

Did not miss that point at all. Still would prefer that any bedding compounds have a reasonable thickness where at all possible. Has been my experience with them that they're more successful when given this opportunity.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.