Tall Target Test Results

mikemo4032

Could someone set me straight on this. I did a tall target test at 100yds and came up .3 mil high. Does this error increase the further out you go or is it still shooting .3 mil high at 1000yds. I had notes on this but can't seem to find them. Thanks.

Since a milliradian is an angle the 0.3 mil would project out to 1000 yards.

When I've done the tall target test I've struggled to understand the exact distance from the scope to the target. What method did you use to measure the distance?

Ok thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. I used an electronic range finder to confirm the distance posted by the club where I was shooting. It was within .5 of posted distance. So, I suppose I can use my ballistic program to determine what that .3 equates to at 1000yds?

Ok thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. I used an electronic range finder to confirm the distance posted by the club where I was shooting. It was within .5 of posted distance. So, I suppose I can use my ballistic program to determine what that .3 equates to at 1000yds?
Correct. 0.3 mil is 1.08" at 100 yards. This would be 10.8" at 1000 yards.

I personally dont like to use tall target test for scope tracking. Too much is leaning on a bunch of small variables.

Tall target test are really good at letting you know you scope/level are mounted properly, and your setup is tracking plumb.

To check scope tracking, I prefer to test the scope mounted rigidly, optically centered, and pointed at a target that is plum and level. The target needs to be close enough to measure with a tape, but far enough to be parallax free. This way i can see how much the scope moves when dialed, without being affected by recoil, group size, velocity variation, or bc variation. You can also check across multiple click values and dialing directions as well as its ability return to zero.

Good video, couple things i do differently.

Use a plumb bob instead of a level. Ive seen dozens of carpenters levels be off. Sometimes by a lot. Plumb bobs dont lie.

Make sure your target is straight in both axis. If your target is leaning to or away from you, you will add distance as you measure along the targets face.

I never use live fire.

If your correction factor is off by less than your group size how do you determine where the center of you group truly is? Did you drop one? Throw one a little high?

Do you think you should change you correction factor based on a theoretical center of a 1/2" group? I wouldnt.

I think the way Cal did his was a very good job with a much higher resolution than live fire.

While tracking is ideally tested in a fixture, doing so is extremely difficult from a practical standpoint. The fixture has to be extremely rigid, heavy, and have an ability to adjust your POA. If your rifle and you are capable of shooting a ~0.1 mil group then just shoot a tall target. While perhaps a 0.1mil tracking error can get concealed a 0.2mil error will not. It's pretty obvious when you do it a couple times. If you or your rifle/ammo aren't predictably capable of that level of precision then shooting a tall target will not be accurate.

There was a very good thread on accurateshooter awhile ago were some guys were testing tracking on a variety of scopes using frozen scopes on a plate I guess you call it that was very rigid and it was pretty eye opening at the results.
If anybody is interested I bet if you searched it you could find it there its worth a read.

There was a very good thread on accurateshooter awhile ago were some guys were testing tracking on a variety of scopes using frozen scopes on a plate I guess you call it that was very rigid and it was pretty eye opening at the results.
If anybody is interested I bet if you searched it you could find it there its worth a read.

I think you may be talking about a Hood scope checker. If you are, they are typically used to check a scopes ability to hold zero.

The one I'm talking about is from Field and Cave and I'm pretty sure its for tracking, they call it a scope checker.

Here is an example

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210213-064748_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210213-064748_Google.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20210213-064759_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210213-064759_Google.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.