Tag Soup Wyoming 64 type 2

D.Camilleri

With hopes that this season would be like the two other times I have had this tag, today was the last day and I can honestly say I never had an elk in range and never saw a bull! My hunt started with my friends coming from Utah with their mules to help me out. We went on a scouting trip the evening before the Nov 1st opener and while attempting to climb a snow covered hill in my old faithful truck, I quickly found out it was a solid sheet of ice. After forward progress ended, the truck took off sliding backwards headed for some big timber. With nothing else to do, I floored it and unleashed 540 rwhp to try and slow my rearward progress. At some point during the descent, I heard a ping. I did manage to stop the truck a few feet before hitting a tree. I decided to put tire chains on the rear tires and check forward progress. Hmmm, no power to front wheels! A quick check found the right front axle disintegrated. Then while trying to get moved ahead out of the road, the steering quit having an effect. Another look showed two broken tie rods. Now it was getting dark and we had no choice other than to walk back to camp 6 miles away.
Opening day was spent getting parts to repair the truck. I had my wife come out to drive my other truck back once I got the hunting truck repaired. I got the repairs made, and while working on the truck, a game warden showed up to lend a hand and told me he slid backwards down the same hill the day before I did. We started down the hill with my buddy driving my old truck and me driving my new truck. Within a couple hundred yards, he through a tire chain on the driver's side rear. He grabbed the chain and continued on. We got back to camp and my wife left for home with my new truck. After my wife left, I decided to make sure there was no damage from the chain coming off. Low and behold, the chain had broken a rear brake line and also damaged the e brake cable. My buddy and I jumped in the truck and headed back to Worland behind my wife to get my other truck. We made it about two miles and I figured out that I had a flat tire. Changed the tire and continued on. It was getting to be about dusk and mule deer were darting in front of a truck with no brakes. Whew, no blood on the bumper. Then the snow started and kept getting heavier and heavier. Should make for great elk hunting if I ever get to start! I made it home and switched trucks. Got back to camp without incident. Next day was lost due to snow fog, could see squat. The day after went on a few walks into normal great bull country and saw nothing. A few bulls were killed close by on opening day, but I was playing mechanic. We hunted a couple more days and my friends had to leave. I went home and regrouped and came back the following weekend. No elk, a few gut piles that had been cleaned up, but that was it. I saw quite a few mule deer and then a real treat. I was glassing a mule deer buck and after he walked out of site, I glassed an area below me covered in snow and low and behold I saw two wolves. One bedded and one standing. I was in a wolf predator area! I grabbed my new huskemaw tri pod and got set up for a shot. I couldn't find the wolves! I kept looking and finally about ten minutes later they re appeared. Three wolves two adults and one juvinille. I ranged the big male at 386, dialed 5.3 moa on my scope and let fly with a 300 grain Accubond out of my 338 rum. I shot right over the wolf's back and boy can they cover ground! Today was the last day of the season and once again no elk! Oh well, hopefully snow will start to fly and I can go fill two cow elk tags before Christmas.

Thanks for the info. Talked with the guy we stay with tonight. He said it was snowing now so hopefully if won't melt before we get there. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. Talked with the guy we stay with tonight. He said it was snowing now so hopefully if won't melt before we get there. Thanks again.
I hope you have a great hunt! I am waiting for more snow to hunt cow elk in now. The mountains appeared to pick up some snow today, we didn't get anything in the basin.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.